Little Valley Creek - Chesterbrook PA

Browns and Rainbows successfully spawned, but I never saw any evidence of successful spawning by stocked Brook Trout strains that were being used during my career. Rainbows only produced extremely low densities of yearlings in rare circumstances (as in one or two fish in 300 m of stream) except in one case in which Golden Rainbows were produced in abundance. I don’t recall seeing any RT older than yearlings, other than in the existing wild RT streams. It was pretty unusual to find a stocked Brook Trout during the mid-summer and beyond.

Stocked Brown Trout have created good populations, such as the Class A one in Codorus Creek and more recently a good one in the Bear Ck DH Area as examples. Surviving the summer does not guarantee successful spawning of stocked trout of any species because warm water temps in summer can destroy gamete viability. That is likely what happens in Tulpehocken’s DH Area for example.

Last edited:
more recently a good one in the Bear Ck DH Area as examples.
What is recent and what makes you think they are from stockies?

Bear Creek has had wild browns up to the upper headwaters for at least 30 years and the DH section has always had a few.

The most recent survey of one or two summers ago revealed a substantial change from the previous survey of possibly 20 yrs or so earlier. Even while there was a good population of BT in Section 01 for decades and in the very upper end of Section 02 by the quarry, it did not extend downstream, although there might have been a few stragglers at times farther down. Section 03, the DH section, was not known for its wild trout, although you could find a few (very few) wild ST from near-by tribs, which as you probably know, at least one of which is Class A. Section 03 suffered from habitat and temperature problems when I first placed it in the DH program in the mid-1980’s. As recently as somewhere around the 2008-2010 period during the stocked trout residency survey of Bear Ck just above the DH Area very few wild BT, if any were found.(And temp problems still exist downstream).

You may have made a good point though because as I was answering the question the wild BT pop in the headwaters slipped my mind, so through “exploratory” movements and development of more suitable temps in the DH Area wild BT may have gradually started to reproduce in that stretch (03). Stocked BT would have found the same conditions, however, and would have been directly stocked in that stretch so the successful spawning of stocked fish could not be ruled out. The overall point of my response, however, despite the possible misfire on Bear Ck, is that there has been ample evidence of successful spawning by PFBC BT over the years, including fall stocked fish in otherwise warmwater fish populated streams, such as the East Branch Perkiomen, and the Codorus Ck case is clear cut, as it was a warmwater stream with dam blockages when Lake Marburg was constructed.

Of note regarding Bear Ck is that Section 02 was one that we worked with for 2-3 yrs during the stocked trout residency study. It originally received stockings of ST and BT for decades, in part because of pH concerns for RT during the preseason snow melt (at times) period. Buffering capacity was not great there. Policy was simple…no RT to be stocked in streams with pH lower than 6.5. We later learned that while sensitive to pH, PFBC RT were tolerating slightly lower pH’s by a few tenths, so when stocked trout residency (BT and ST) turned out to be only moderate at best and maybe even poor for ST, I started experimenting with RT and measured their residency, which was much better in Bear. Thus, the species mix was changed for Section 02 and Section 03. You will note, however, that one of those sections received BT inseason this year. That was most likely because of the RT shortage in portions of the hatchery system this year. Additionally, trout residency is less of a concern inseason because the fish are fished over immediately.

Finally, the expansion of the BT population in Bear Ck may have been assisted by the shift to solely RT stocking, as this has allowed BT populations to expand in some other waters. You probably read previously that I started it with Tom Greene’s (Coldwater Unit Leader) approval within the PFBC years ago and was shifting to purely RT stockings when I felt that it had a good chance of pushing a Class B BT section pop to Class A, which would then allow me to remove the section from the stocking program, providing a source of stocked trout for other waters within the statewide system. It worked on two York Co stream sections and appeared to have worked on a third that had been less closely monitored, so saying it absolutely worked would have been a bit generous.

Last edited:
So on Bear, I moved to the area around 20 years ago. The DH area had a sizable BT population in the winter. I'm not talking class A or anything, but you'd get 3 or 4 if you fished in January, clearly wild fish. They seemed to disappear or at least decrease in number by spring. They weren't holdovers, I know the difference and these were no doubters. Can dig up a pic or two if you wish, Bear's wild browns are among the prettiest I've ever encountered in PA. A friend of mine is an old timer in the area and said it was the same way when he was young (he is old enough to be my dad, and has a cabin along it). We generally fished much farther upstream and caught 90% brookies in summer, but always a few browns mixed in. We always viewed the brown trout as migratory in that waterway, though have no verifiable proof of that. Just found them lower stream in winter and upper stream in summer, all with a very pronounced look to them. Super dark black eye spots, brilliant crimson spots and adipose, almost zero black spots, and pure gold.

If looking for a place that lacked a BT source to verify a population increase is sourced from stocked fish, it is about the last place I would think of. I don't doubt stocked fish leave some DNA imprint, and that's as likely a place as any, but there existed a wild population for a very long time.

I can't speak to Perkiomen or Codurus, I am not familiar enough with their watersheds.

Your observation of winter wild browns fits with what we saw in the 1988 time frame in the stocked portion of the main stem Perkiomen (unrelated to comments about its East Branch, where Sellersville/Perkasie stretch is completely isolated from whatever happens in the main Perki). Two yr old wild browns would show up in pretty good quantity in early spring surveys and later disappear by June. TU measured water temps and they were always very marginal to lethal by then or even Memorial Day on occasion. The Perki had a Class A population about 2 mi or so upstream from the stocked section, a minor population in a trib about 1 mi upstream within the trib from the lower portion of the trib, and a Class C pop in Hosensack Ck, another trib to the stocked section. I always figured that the temporary abundance reflected large year classes in those three sources. No adults would be found in the Perki among all of those younger fish.

Side bar:1)Upper Hosensack eventually improved to Class A; lower Hosensack did not change appreciably over time (decades). 2)My understanding is that Bear Ck DH now holds a good summer pop of wild BT. 3) I recall wild BT fingerlings appearing in the Middle Branch White Clay DH. If I recall correctly, the discovery was made following a fish kill yrs ago. Given what occurred in the E Br Perkiomen, and no previous reproduction documented in the Middle Branch White Clay or its basin (and still not ) I thought that was what most likely happened in the Middle Branch White Clay that one time…reproduction by fall stocked fish.

Last edited:
Back