Little twist on a well known fly!

Alpabuck

Alpabuck

I fished the LL today and found quite few fish taking midges. I've always had decent luck sight fishing an al's rat when I can keep track of it and I can see the fly, I normally will add a bit of gink to keep it floating or up near the top and once the fly would get too wet I could no longer see it I was screwed. Last night I sat down at the vise and used natural cdc instead of the muskrat and now I got an al's rat that will float like a cork and slams fish.

Pics ?

I left my camera in my truck all day and now it's dead.

I'll do a step by step tomorrow night!

Throw in some shot and a thingamabobber and it'll make your life much easier:)

Those tiny flies fished on top or down low have a permenant place on my rigs. If you want to use them as a surface fly and can't keep track, just fish em behind a small high vis parachute.

I have fished them with shot and have done quite well. On the Yampa in CO. I fished an al's rat that I tied with red thread instead of the brown and I slammed them. I've tried the parachute as well but have still anyways done better when I can see it!

I heard that even if you can't see it, you can't go wrong with setting the hook when GB tells you to. Sounds like it's right up your alley. :)

GB not so much.....JC now thats more like it.

He also said that if you're going to rib the pattern, you MUST buy gold wire!!!

Red, olive, black, brown, ribbed or not, muskrat or hare's dubbing... doesn't matter. They all work, and work well.

jayL wrote:
He also said that if you're going to rib the pattern, you MUST buy gold wire!!!

I have to admit that was funny!

Back