Little Schuylkill

Opie610

Opie610

Does anyone know if the Little Schuylkill was float stocked or did they just dump them in at the two bridges and the Rip-Rap hole?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure but I always mean to hit that river up more. I only ever hit it where it runs into the schuylkill there at Port Clinton. I hear there are some decent spots further north.

Could not say, but you will also find that the 1.1 mile Port Clinton stretch is well stocked. I have been told of a reasonably good sulphur hatch that has occurred there during past Mays. It is fairly big water for SE pa and looks very attractive as a fishery (habitat), although it is certainly less pristine looking than the dh stretch.

I'm going Monday morning. I think I'm going to start at the DH and end somewhere in Port Clinton. I'll let you know how it is.

The Port Clinton section gets 1 in-season stocking, so saying it is well stocked is a bit of a stretch.

Like many dhalo areas, this one is heavily poached.

steliejim wrote:

I agree.

It's pretty sad at times.

Stelie, on a number per mile basis, the stream is well-stocked. Also, the inseason stocking represents the combined numbers of trout that were previously stocked for opening day and the follow-up inseason stocking, so, again, to receive all of those fish at once to me indicates "well-stocked."

I confronted a person one day that was fishing and wanted one of my catch a release trout. He did not have his fishing license visible. As far as I was concerned he was poaching and I was not going to give a poacher an easy fish. After some else starting asking also, he produced. We informed him that the license needed to be visible at all times.

When I was in MO at the fishery (March), I noticed a number of fishing rigs wrapped around a powerline over the fish holding tanks. Definitly poaching was going on there.

Any of you guys ever fish the LS up in the gamelands? Since moving to Carbon County I've been trying to explore some new streams to fish. To date I've only fished the LS in New Ringgold but I was exploring the upper LS in the gamelands just prior to the season opener and it looked like nice, picturesque water to spend a day exploring. Wondering if it's worth the hike in?

BTW, I left a bright orange 20ft check cord (I was hiking with my drahthaar pup) coiled up on a tree branch near the stream. I didn't realize it until I had hiked my way back up to the top of the ridge. Steep hike and I had a bum knee, so I opted to hopefully find it on my next trip in.

steliejim wrote:
The Port Clinton section gets 1 in-season stocking, so saying it is well stocked is a bit of a stretch.

Ah, Mike is the Area Fisheries Manager/Biologist, he should know.

Yes, it's decent and hold wild as well as stocked trout. And it's pretty quiet. Above the dam populations drop off pretty quickly due to AMD and it's dead above Ginther. the tribs have fish though.

Back