Little Schuylkill R Section 08, Port Clinton, Sch Co.

M

Mike

As some know I have been promoting the subject stocked trout section, located in Port Clinton, for the past few years and some fly anglers, as well as othesr, have begun to find it attractive. This 1.1 mi section is about 2 mi north on Rt 61 from Cabelas-Hamburg and about 3 mi north of I-78 on Rt 61. Since the stream is difficult to fish in flows typical of opening day, all pre and inseason RT are stocked at the same time during the single inseason stocking, which occurred last week under somewhat above normal flows. Given that it is between 20-25 m wide, has very good flow at this time of the year, and has good habitat, and is lightly used, there is little chance that many of the trout have been harvested. Last year, one fly angler whom I interviewed told me that he normally fishes Pine Ck in NC Pa, but this stretch provides equal enjoyment. Quite an endorsement in my view. The scenery is nowhere close to that of Pine, but it is in a water gap and is a fun stretch to fish if you like to try bigger water. Despite being in town and immediately above town, once you wade into the stream channel you forget all about that. Each time I fish it I usually catch a 8-10 inch wild ST as well as the stocked RT.

One final note, the lower end of the section is the confluence with the main Schuylkill River, which supports some nice smallmouth bass in that stretch.

Thanks for the reminder (again).

If I lived closer, I think I'd spend a lot of time there. Not many big waters in PA where one can catch wild 8-10" ST. I'd think this, combined with some stockies, ought to make for an appealing place to fish. Maybe next time I'm over around Cabelas I'll spin by and give it a try.

Mike,

You must have ESP or ESPN. My son and I wanted to fish it today, but the flow was too high. Looking forward to fishing it when the flow is lower.

My buddy and I really like the section you are speaking of- that is the DHALO stretch correct? Some good memories from last year, which was my first year going there.

We started calling each other “chubby chasers” and joked about creating a chubs unlimited Lil skuke chapter due to the chubs we were catching on almost every cast one day there. Couldn’t keep em off the line.

Also, we will both remember the enormous pig of a bow that broke me off on a bad knot (shame on me) and then broke my buddy off in The same spot the following week. We went back a few times for revenge but didn’t stick him again. That bastard...

Very fond of the Lil skuke. Also like you said, smallies at the mouth (that pool is pretty sweet), and there are some neat small streams around too.

It is not the DH area. The DH is further upstream near the town of New Ringgold.

Aye okay- I’ll have to do some ‘splorin when I’m in the area!

My son and I went there today in hopes of fishing. We looked down from the bridge and I said there ain't no way I'm stepping in that water. I didn't know how to relate the USGS flow at Tamaqua to the flow there. Now I do.

I have really enjoyed fishing that stretch for smallies over the past several years. It’s not uncommon to hook into big holdover RT even when targeting Smallmouth Bass later in the season.

outsider wrote:
My son and I went there today in hopes of fishing. We looked down from the bridge and I said there ain't no way I'm stepping in that water. I didn't know how to relate the USGS flow at Tamaqua to the flow there. Now I do.
I believe I've heard people here saying 200cfs on the Tamaqua gauge was a good time to stay out of the water if you like being alive. I don't fish the DHALO often and I still haven't made it down closer to the mouth so I'm not sure how the Tamaqua gauge translates to further downstream.

Yeah, 200 at Tamaqua would be higher than I'd want to be in it. I fish it further upstream, above the DHALO though. For the horseshoe bend/Locust Creek confluence stretch, 100ish is dialed in IMO. 150 perhaps at the max with limited, safe wading. It's not a terribly big stream up there at that point, but it's got big, slippery rocks and more gradient than you'd think.

Back