Little Pine Delayed Harvest

bdfish

bdfish

Wife and I did some camping at LP state park 10/13-10/16. I was able to fish the delayed harvest section on Little Pine Creek for an hour or two Thursday after noon and Friday late morning. It was "stocktober", to use a phrase from the new PAFF dictionary. found a spot stacked with fish who were actively feeding on top. Saw no bugs and don't know what they were taking. tried BWOs and some small gnats to no avail. Had lots of looks but they weren't interested. used a 16 tan elk hair caddis and got a violent take. Landed a nice 12" or so stocked rainbow. Problem was, he took it so hard, I ripped the fly apart getting it out. Old, cheap fly from somewhere. Of course, that was the only one I had as I left a small fly box with lots of elk hair caddis on the dining room table at home. Switched to olive bugger and landed a few more. Did the same Friday. Nice days to be out. Tons of fish but really low and clear. All fish were the same size and really active, jumping and flipping around in the net.

Thanks for the update. I am heading up that way next weekend to a buddies camp.

I know "The Pine" was stocked from Bonnel Flats to Slate Run by the FC and the guy at Slate Run/Wolfes said their club put some big browns in too. I didn't make it up but I would check it out if time permits. Road my bike past some parking lots on Saturday up that way and there were a lot of cars around but I didn't really see that many fishermen.

What was the water levels like from Slate Run to Tombs flats?

Low but fishable. Saw some decent runs and pockets. I was riding on the trail with my wife so I didn't stop too long.

Back