Little Lehigh

Chaz,what are you saying? The grass I'm referring to is growing ON the stream bottom,not on the banks.What's a tish?

That stream bottom vegetation in the lower park section appeared last year. It has been absent from that section for a long time. Other sections have seen growth, but not there. I am not quite sure why it started growing again, but it is nice. The fish seem to be less, but the stream LOOKS better. Who knows.

Last weekend I stayed for about an hour or so for the Tricos and got disgusted at the lack of wild browns I usually see in certain sections . . .

The wild browns have really gone down on the LL.Even in the Heritage section there is a drastic reduction in numbers.Don.t know the reason for this but could it have something to do with the fact that they stock mostly RT and next to no browns?
Unfortunately the LL is not the same stream that it was 15-20 yrs ago.

i am not sure the bows cause much of a problem. They are generally fished out by the bait guys and their numbers go down. I think it was either last summer or two summers ago we had a very dry year and that stream was low and warm most of the summer. That may have accounted for the growth of weeds and the decline of the wild browns. Or excessive fertilizers entering the waterway?

Is there any authority that tracks water quality on this stream?

The LL got a stocking event last Sat. due to flooding of the nursery.They claim that 2000 fish are missing,that includes the 400 dead fish that they retrieved from the netting over the ponds.the other 1600 escaped into the stream?The positive of this is that there are a lot of Browns in that number.

H
The LL got a stocking event last Sat. due to flooding of the nursery.They claim that 2000 fish are missing,that includes the 400 dead fish that they retrieved from the netting over the ponds.the other 1600 escaped into the stream?The positive of this is that there are a lot of Browns in that number.

I saw an article on the fish kill at the hatchery today and thought the same thing... 2000 missing, only 400 caught in the nets/dead at the hatchery means ~1600 are likely swimming around in the creek minus the dead that got washed downstream.

The article I read was all “boo-hoo anglers are gonna have a crap season now.” My thoughts on that are... well probably not. they just got “stocked” early. + the LL has fish year round all over, not just where it gets stocked. I hate that mindset.

At any rate, public announcement that the stocking numbers will be low / may not happen in the fall should keep the poachers and freezer fillers from pounding the place to helll.

troutwilleatflies wrote:
Chaz,what are you saying? The grass I'm referring to is growing ON the stream bottom,not on the banks.What's a tish?
I'm talking about there being no management plan for the riparian zone. Allentown Parks people are stupid.

Back