Little Lehigh/Jordan creek dam removals

studiomule

studiomule

Little Lehigh dam removal

Exciting stuff for Lehigh Valley anglers. I wish they'd post a map of which dams are included in the project and which aren't.

Great news....hope they tear down Cementon, Wehrs, and Kernsville. Cementon being the most important.

two dams coming off the Lehigh it looks too:

Wildlands Conservancy has a meeting scheduled for Monday with the City of Easton and the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources to discuss the removal of the Chain dam and the Easton dam on the Lehigh.

good news all around.

Just saw this as well...definitely good news.

A potential shad fishery in the lehigh...that would be cool.

Rod Rohrbach was upset when first informed last week of a plan that would remove nine dams from the Little Lehigh and Jordan creeks.

I, for one, welcome our new Piscesine overlords.

I like that they rang up Rod out in CO and got him to bitch about it. Stupendous use of resources.

jay348 wrote:

A potential shad fishery in the lehigh...that would be cool.

and maybe a sea run brown or two...

gfen wrote:
Rod Rohrbach was upset when first informed last week of a plan that would remove nine dams from the Little Lehigh and Jordan creeks.

I, for one, welcome our new Piscesine overlords.

I like that they rang up Rod out in CO and got him to bitch about it. Stupendous use of resources.

A year or so back, I spoke to Lee Creyer (our area WCO) about this. He feels that removal of the low head dams on the LL will allow the silt in the stream to be flushed downstream, improving habitat. I tend to agree with him.

Muskies? On 10X tippet. Good one, Rod. :roll:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
A year or so back, I spoke to Lee Creyer (our area WCO) about this. He feels that removal of the low head dams on the LL will allow the silt in the stream to be flushed downstream, improving habitat. I tend to agree with him.

It'll also make for a less bumpy ride when Nestle finally drains the water table and we have a new bike path.

"The project will also include a second phase scheduled for 2014 that will provide flood plain and substrate restoration and reconnect the flood plain to the streams, as well as add fish habitat structure for the trout that live in the streams."

I wish they'd have more info on this part of it, i.e. what they plan to do after removing the dams.

Just removing dams often does not lead to good results. From the paragraph above it appears they realize that, which is good. But I wish they more details.

What sort of habitat structures?

What do they mean by reconnecting the stream to the floodplain? Is it not connected now?

And what is meant by substrate restoration?

troutbert wrote:

And what is meant by substrate restoration?

sunken rebar, wing deflectors that speed up the current and produce clean cobble and gravel...

reconnecting the flood plain, normally means cleaning side ditches and streams of obstacles, and allowing fields to flood for a short period then clear through.

there's a lot of info on it in TU presentations - what is it ? - protect, restore, connect, preserve ?

This won't hurt that's for sure,but it is n't going to be the real answer to the real problem.The real problem is run off and sewerage overflow on the LL,until they address that the stream will continue to degrade..
The Jordon is a lost cause and not a trout stream.Trout can't surv ive the summer there most years on the upper reaches and the lower stream must be polluted cause there is very little evidence of life there compared to the past.

I welcome the changes, but with some trepidation. The current in-stream structures are horrible and do more damage than good IMHO and I'm glad to see some changes. I've seen good and bad stream work and I hope the LL gets the good kind. I hope low bidder isn't the only criteria. The projects I've seen done by Joe Urbani where the point bars and natural curves of the stream are duplicated (when done the stream basically looks like a wild stream) are outstanding - and they hold a lot more bugs and fish.

The work should try to get a velocity distribution so that the fines get transported through and the bottom looks like the cobble of the original stream. The sediment that builds up behind a dam tends to be on the fine side and chokes out most bugs, except the burrowers. Eventually the stream can cut down to the original bed, but if it cuts too steeply that can cause problems. The reconnect the flood plain usually means that high water can spread out and lower the maximum stream velocity in the stream bed ore like a natural stream. Impediments to that, like dikes or section of stream incised into sediment, are altered to allow the flood plain to act more naturally. Most urban streams are constrained which allows high velocity/high erosion in constrained sections and then just dumping the sediments when the constriction ends creating a braided, featureless section. A stream's job is to carry away all the projects of the Earth eroding away. Hopefully, that sediment transport can occur in a way more similar to a natural stream where the bugs evolved and are most successful.

There is significant engineering in stream work and techniques are improving. I hope we don't get an old school style of work. There is a lot of salesmanship in stream restoration and not enough long term monitoring to judge effectiveness in my view. That is slowly changing, but getting the contract award is first priority and long term monitoring is about 12th priority on all too many jobs.

I have to laugh, for one the Lehigh had a Shad run historically its registered in the Easton historical society at 4th and Ferry sts. The dams like the chain dam an scott's park were put in for the canal a long long long time ago. They have been kept there because the canal was seen as a historical signifigant piece of history. The dams eliminated the Shad run. The shad ladder at Scott Park was put on the wrong side of the river and theres still a debate about that issue.
As for Rod knowing anything about the mighty Lehigh River fishery,his claim to fame was always " All the fish that get stocked in the Lehigh die , the Lehigh has no trout fishery." his words not mine.
I am all for dam removal if it is done properly. as for stream restoration, as long as the right firms are hired this can be a very good thing trouble is a lot of times Firms are hired for this because they have the low bid and actually no experience with this at all.
If I may I would get ahold of Brian Cowden who does a ton of Stream restoration on the Musconetcong , and a few others streams in New Jersey. They have a firm out of Montana that comes in a has a good handle on how to approach this with success.
I am sure JeffK can also chime in on this.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Good link - thanks for the heads up on this project.
Keep us informed.

The project will go to the firm with the lowest bid. That is how the game works. There are good firms in PA. No need to hire a company from Montana to do the work.

Any engineering company that designs this project will be required to perform hydraulic and hydrologic modeling analysis on the watershed. These models determine the existing and proposed floodplain areas and the flows during the flood event stages of 50 and 100 year intervals. Any dam, bridge or culvert work on a stream would require this modeling.

The substrate restoration can refer to the establishment of wetland areas that allow for the water to naturally permeate the soil rather than flow off.

Maybe we'll see people trying to poach muskies instead of trout from the kiddie pool now. Apparently Rod was back in the area because he mentioned something about it on FB. I dont think they hunted him down in CO :)

I think it's good. I never realized how bad the sediment was until I fished it after the water dropped from the hurricane two years back. The stream bottom was so clean and rocky. Now it's built up again with sediment.

How fast does the water clear up/settle after a dam removal is completed? Is it days, weeks, months?

Don't forget that opening up river like Lehigh to the ocean increases available biomass for bass, trout, etc. for forage. Baby shad, shad eggs, baby eels, and so forth all increase forage base. This is healthy, even if they can't resolve all the issues with sediment, erosion, etc.

By the way there was a map in the Morning Call of which dams are included.
studiomule wrote:
Little Lehigh dam removal

Exciting stuff for Lehigh Valley anglers. I wish they'd post a map of which dams are included in the project and which aren't.

WFMZ Report

Here's the article via WFMZ. I haven't found the maps online anywhere, I don't get the paper anymore. Anyone have an image of the dams slated to be removed?

Back