Little Lehigh decline

daman1277

daman1277

I always fish the LL just because of its proximity to my house as well as being good for at least one or two fish. Went the weekend after the rain when the ground was frozen and everything flooded that week. Evidently the water on the LL got up above the hatchery. That weekend with the water still stained and off color saw several big fish caught on streamers an especially nice 28 inch brown trout all caught in the Kiddie pool. Well ever since then haven't caught a fish and only seen 1 fish caught each weekend. Is that creek going down hill or is it just me?

Not an LL regular here, but I can say that some of the regulars that frequent this site do feel that the stream has declined. Personally, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in a trip or two, especially if it follows unusual or unnatural conditions.

Take some time to review some of the many threads on the LL recently, you will see some of the discussion on the state of the creek.

Late this winter when I first heard people hinting at the decline of the Little Lehigh, I was a bit skeptical. After fishing it a few times since then, I'm beginning to believe that the stream isn't what it was a few years ago. The one thing that I remember from all my visits to the old heritage section, is seeing many small wild browns holding in the slower runs. Many times I wouldn't catch anything, but I would still see plenty of fish. The two times that I fished it in the last couple of months, I haven't seen any fish holding in those same area. If the stream is in a decline, I think that one of the major causes is the frequent flooding. I fished it a couple of fridays ago, and I could tell that there had been a serious flood. Stream side brush was all knocked over. There was a bunch of trash stuck in the brush. There was a maintenance crew there pulling bigger pieces of trash that was stuck along the banks.

The LLH has been going downhill for the last 4 or more years. There were about 50 or more trout that you could see on a daily basis
under the bridge below the fly shop, now none or maybe 2. The fish are few and far between. I remember seeing dead trout in every stretch the last couple of years now you don't even see them. I averaged 5 to 7 trout in a 4 hour outing, Now its I in 5 or 6 outings.
Yes the LLH is not what it was.

About 15-17 years ago, I used to fish the LL at least once a week, almost all year round. Since then, there has been a good amount of development done in the area. I don't fish the stream nearly as much as I used to, but I truly believe that the stream is a shadow of what it once was. I think the development played a part in it. I also think the heavy stocking impacted it and finally has taken it's toll. Aside from those two things, the floods it has has seen haven't helped, but I wonder if the flooding isn't a result of surface water that used to find it's way into the ground but is now finding only pavement. You used to be able to see lots of fish, even if they weren't taking your flies. I also used to see more quality fish as well as young trout there. Now, not so much.

LouM wrote:
The LLH has been going downhill for the last 4 or more years. There were about 50 or more trout that you could see on a daily basis
under the bridge below the fly shop, now none or maybe 2. The fish are few and far between. I remember seeing dead trout in every stretch the last couple of years now you don't even see them. I averaged 5 to 7 trout in a 4 hour outing, Now its I in 5 or 6 outings.
Yes the LLH is not what it was.

I think all the development upstream. Silt and yard chemicals. Seems it has been going down hill since around 2007. I imagine the heron population is also a factor.

Franklin; the mergansers aren't helping either.

Its a shame if the LL is on the decline.

I only fished there a handful of times but I remember I caught one of two really good fish there around 2006 or so. I broke off a ton due to having to use 8x and small flies. I can remember seeing dozens of fish in the heritage section and sight-casting to them; the seemed concentrated in the stretch behind the fly shop and just downstream for the next 1/4mile.

All of the LV streams are in decline, I'm not sure why, but have my suspicions, it has to do with never having been classified correctly by D.E.P. They not under the correct classification because they were not correctly classified by PFBC. This is why finding wild trout in streams and getting things right is a BIG BIG deal.

LouM wrote:
Franklin; the mergansers aren't helping either.
25 per day limit during duck season.

Have their been changes in the physical habitat, especially pool habitat?

If so, what has caused these changes?

Trout need good holding water. If you want to have good trout populations, you need depth and cover.

If a stream is flat, shallow, featureless, the trout populations will be low, even when water quality and quantity are good.

Most of the stream mileage in developed areas is highly artificial, highly altered, i.e. channels have been moved, simplified, straightened, suffered loss of large woody debris, floodplains developed, etc.

Under those circumstances, most of the stream's ability to create good pool and cover habitat through natural processes is lost. So, you may have to create man-made habitat, if you are going to have any at all.

I too have noticed a decline of the Little Lehigh. I have fished it for over 20 years. If I had to guess what were the reasons for this I would list the following possibilities. Overdevelopment ( more homes means more runoff). Poor crop planting (some areas,corn is planted right up to the stream) corn does not hold soil well and leads to siltation. Severe flooding ( too many major floods in a short period). Lack of streamside canopy plants( years ago there were a lot more willow trees) they provide shade and their roots gave good cover underwater. These reasons are only my opinion and I have no scientific proof that they are the cause for my perceived decline.

Are you saying that despite the effort to keep the hatchery fish from escaping the numbers are still the same? According to the old report on the stream (prior to the increased controls on escapement), hatchery fish made up approximately 40 percent of the trout in the special reg area that were seven inches long and longer. If the numbers of more easily caught hatchery fish have been substantially reduced, I would think that would have a substantial impact on catch rates independently and more directly than the other impacts that have been mentioned.

What do PFBC surveys show about wild trout populations on the Little Lehigh over the years?

The data should tell you whether the populations are going up or down, or staying about the same.

And if they are going down, then you can try to identify the cause, and do something to remedy it.

I grew up fishing the LL,I am 76yrs young. and the major decline was when they extended the sewer lines into western Lehigh county in the 60's.When they did that no one gave a damn on how they did it.They ran those sewer lines right next to ,across, and into the stream bed.they tore that stream apart.Then of course the "progress" followed,miles and miles of development with all the silt and run off.From that time on the LL has been steadily declining.I remember the Sulfur hatches that looked like a bizzard in reverse,they are very sparse now,overall there are no where near the bugs today as back before the 60's.
Those that fish the Heritage can attest to the large population of native browns as recently as 10 yrs ago,they have really declined in number the last couple years.
Sadly the LL will never be what it was,at least I have the memories.

Troutbert,
The 2013 survey, the most recent one, yielded 167 kg/ha. That is way more than enough in a mid-size limestoner for anglers to do quite well.

Mike wrote:
Troutbert,
The 2013 survey, the most recent one, yielded 167 kg/ha. That is way more than enough in a mid-size limestoner for anglers to do quite well.

That is a high number, similar to Spring Creek. But flyfishers seem to catch more trout in Spring Creek than in the Little Lehigh.

What would be a possible explanation for that?

I believe I was at that survey,they found lots of fish in the kiddie pool and just below it.When they went just 75 yds above it towards the bridge the numbers dropped to next to nothing.
I did n't witness the survey in the area of the 78 bridge but there were decent numbers there.
From what I see in the Heritage section over the last several years the numbers are way down from 10 yrs ago.

Mike I watched when you did the survey,from the kiddie pool up to the bridge. I saw quite a few smaller trout in that section that you had shocked. However since that time the fish population has dropped considerably. The fishing is no where near what it was when you did the survey. The little Lehigh is in a state of severe decline.
and there doesn't seem to be anything being done to find out what the problem is or how to correct it, there are lots of problems including a drop in the insect population. We are losing what was once a gem in SE PA.

All of this is very confusing.

The bottom line questions:

1) Has the wild brown trout population on the Little Lehigh really gone down substantially, or not?

PFBC surveys should be able to determine the answer.

2) If the wild trout population has gone down substantially, what is the cause?

Back