Little Juniata?

P

PAFLYBOY

I'm contemplating a trip to the Little J tomorrow. I plan to swing wooly buggers and soft-hackle wet flies. I see that it is flowing at just under 500cfs at the moment. Is that considered a high flow and, what would be a good flow rate for fishing and reasonable wading? Also, does anyone have any recommendation for reasonably priced lodging in the area? Thanks in advance!

500 is borderline too high for me. Spots will be fishable, but you’ll need to be selective and smart about where/what you decide to wade out into. Don’t count on being able to cross it at any point. There may be spots where you can, but it’ll be dicey at best.

Look for spots on the inside edges of bends that have decent gravel bars. Those spots usually have a relatively sheltered and gradual eddy that transitions out to the main current flow on the outside bank. Gravel is easier to keep your footing on than midstream boulders too.

FWIW, 250-300ish is ideal IMO I’m terms of balancing wading access and good flow volume.

Hotels in Huntingdon, and even more in Altoona, a little further.

Last edited:
500 is borderline too high for me. Spots will be fishable, but you’ll need to be selective and smart about where/what you decide to wade out into. Don’t count on being able to cross it at any point. There may be spots where you can, but it’ll be dicey at best.

Look for spots on the inside edges of bends that have decent gravel bars. Those spots usually have a relatively sheltered and gradual eddy that transitions out to the main current flow on the outside bank. Gravel is easier to keep your footing on than midstream boulders too.

FWIW, 250-300ish is ideal IMO I’m terms of balancing wading access and good flow volume.

Hotels in Huntingdon, and even more in Altoona, a little further.
Thanks, Swattie! That's in line with what I was thinking. I believe I'll wait for a more reasonable flow. Much appreciated

Thanks, Swattie! That's in line with what I was thinking. I believe I'll wait for a more reasonable flow. Much appreciated
You made the right decision. As a regular on the J, I won't consider wading if it is over 300. I personally like it to be close to 220. Now if I am in my pontoon, I will go up to 500.

You made the right decision. As a regular on the J, I won't consider wading if it is over 300. I personally like it to be close to 220. Now if I am in my pontoon, I will go up to 500.

Thanks, that sounds like good advice!

The current flow rate is a little high for the lower part of the river - below spruce creek.
Above that however, I'm able to fish many sections of it rather comfortably.
And would give it a shot now

I was there last weekend and the flow was just under 600. Only wade-able in select spots unless you are bold or very familiar with the river.

Thsnks, all. I elected to do a late season steelhead trip instead. I'll save the Little J for another time...

Here is a great resource explaining flow rates on the Little J from the Little Juniata River Association website:

Attachments

• 3752CEE6-7BC3-409E-A71B-4FB3A16B23F7.png
    3752CEE6-7BC3-409E-A71B-4FB3A16B23F7.png
    432.9 KB · Views: 91
a detail worth considering. the levels cited on the website is good guide for what we call the "middle river"- Tyrone to Spruce creek. You may want to fish in lower flows on the lower river (eg. Gorge, Baree).

a detail worth considering. the levels cited on the website is good guide for what we call the "middle river"- Tyrone to Spruce creek. You may want to fish in lower flows on the lower river (eg. Gorge, Baree).
+1

400cfs on the gauge may be very challenging wading for some folks when fishing below Spruce Creek.

250 is the upper limit for wading for me in the gorge.

This upcoming weekend is my 40th reunion at Juniata College. Time flies. I can't believe that I graduated from college 40 years ago or how fast my daughter went from just a baby to age 25.

My schedule is pretty flexible so I can either arrive early or stay later, or both.

I know that there is a fly shop where Spruce Creek flows into the Little Juniata. At least that was the case the last time I was there.

Any current information from fellow board members who know the Little J better than I do will be appreciated.

Edit note: I am guessing that I can wet wade.

Last edited:
Spruce Creek Outfitters remains in business at the same location. I do not recommend wet wading. The river is flowing lower than normal but cou

The river is flowing lower than normal but will rise with the anticipated rain this week.

The river is flowing lower than normal but will rise with the anticipated rain this week.
Late to this conversation... but the best day that I ever had on the J (about 25 fish with 2 of them in the 17-19" range) was when flows were between 600-650 CFS. I am very familiar with the river which helps with safe wading, but even then it is sketchy. I am athletic and like a mountain goat which helps. I recommend only fishing the J with a buddy, it can get very dangerous. I've also seen a guide on the J floating in this range and they hit a rock in the "minefield" area which caused his client to go over headfirst which was really scary, thankfully he wasn't injured.

I the water guage is at 250 or lower, you should be able to wade just about anywhere. Right now it is 181.

Agree with the assessment that the LJ fishes best above 500. Was just up on Penns this weekend during so-called "perfect" conditions by TCO and my first thought was wow... this is way too low.

I am 73 years old fish The Little J between 100 and 200 day every year anything 300 I go to another stream

Back