Little Juniata

B

buckspa

It looks like I will be (finally) heading out to fish the Little Juniata for the first time at the beginning of June. We are looking for a place to stay-lodge, rental cabin, campground close to the river, maybe on the river. Do you have any recommendations?

Criteria are cheap, clean, close to river. Thank you.

Green Hills Campground, Blue Diamond, and Warrior Ridge are all close.

Green Hills is probably the nicest one of the three and is right on the river.

Blue Diamond is secluded but may have some cabins/cottages available. It's nice also IMO, but geared more toward group retreats than actual camping. Fairly close to the river but back in the boonies so it'll take a few minutes to get on the water

Warrior Ridge seems to have the least accommodations but is conveniently located closer to a beer distributor and closer to a Walmart. It's close to RT 22 so getting from camp to the river is not too bad of a drive at all.

GH and BD have no-alcohol rules.

Sorry, I can't tell you more about motels/hotels. I also believe there are several cabin/cottage rentals along Spruce Creek but I doubt it will be very cheap.

Green Hills also rents out a trailer that should sleep about 4-5.

Thank you. Any ideas on camping is Rothrock? I see Moshannon has cabins to rent, but it looks like a little bit of a drive to the river.

buckspa wrote:
Thank you. Any ideas on camping is Rothrock? I see Moshannon has cabins to rent, but it looks like a little bit of a drive to the river.

Depends on how you want to camp, if you camp very light you could walk into Baree Gorge from the Mountain Rd. and camp almost right along the river. I've seen people camping along the hillsides there several times.
Plenty of other areas to do that sort of thing too. If you want seclusion but closer access to the road/vehicle you may want to scout around to the north for a site that is close to a road. (following the rules for overnight stays of course)

I don't fish the Little J that often and when I do it's during daylight hours. Trains come by pretty frequently and of course, they're loud. I can't imagine trying to sleep in a tent in the Baree Gorge if those trains come through at night.

If you're camping above the 2nd RR bridge, the trains are in the tunnel and you can't hear them. They are loud elsewhere. Don't know if you're permitted to camp up there though......

That rail line is Norfolk Southern's Pittsburg Division line. One the busiest sections of heavy freight track on the East Coast, unfortunately night time doesn't offer much reprieve from the rail traffic.

The trains go by so often you don't even notice them... LOL!

I pitched my tent at Blue Diamnd last September for a couple nights. I'd go there again. It didn't take long to get to the river by travelling the State Forest roads. The campground was very quiet but then it was September and not on a weekend so there were very few campers.

Well you also got the B & B out the river road as well called, Edgewater acres.

Back