Little J?

A

awojo

Hey All
I am heading to the Little J for the first time in May of this year. Really looking forward to some new water! What kind of nymphs should I tie up? Where would be a good starting point as far as access. Thanks in advance!

I can't help you out with the nymphs.
But I wouldn't even go near that stream without a good selection of sulpher dry flies in may.
You could also see gray fox and march browns then too.

As for access -
A couple of good spots are: right in the town of spruce creek, with a handy fly shop right on the stream there.
On the lower side of the gorge at the state forest parking lot - accessed through Baree or Petersburg.
But the little j is one of those streams that is good wherever you can get on it. There really isn't a bad place anywhere on it IMO

Nymphs for that time of year:

Dark Sulpher nymph 12-16

Tan Caddis Larvae 14-18

Walt's Worm 12-18

Green Weenie 12-14

Dryflyguy gave you the lowdown on access. It is a great piece of water. Hopefully, the flows are conducive to dry fly fishing and you can leave the nymphs in your fly box. Though, nymphing would probably produce more fish.

Spruce creek section is usually almost always more crowded then the baree section (state forest), the baree section will be crowded near the parking lot but if you don't mind walking you can get away from people pretty good.
Make sure you stop in at spruce creek outfitters for fly selection, the owner is a great guy, and will take the time to answer any questions you have and point you in the right direction.

Back