Little J Temps

Schaefer406

Schaefer406

Planning on hitting the J tomorrow. Flows bumped a bit and cooler nights should help cool down the water. I realized I lost my thermometer from last time I was out. For anyone who has fished it recently, what time have the temps been pushing 67 degrees? My boots will be in the water by 5:45 AM

It was plenty fkkn cold through about 2:00 Thursday afternoon around Barree. I could feel it through my waders for sure.

Well I definitely missed an opportunity. I had planned on fishing the Little J this morning but the phone calls I made on Thursday to get a temp were not successful. So after looking at the below average flow and knowing what air temps have been (where I live), I decided to play it safe and stay home. Oh well…

Hey guys, I have never fished the LJ, its a trek for me as I am in Northumberland County. Can anyone PM me a place to fish that has decent water and easy access? I am 66 with some wading issues, I am not familiar with the area or the water. Thanks. Very much appreciate anyone who can answer this for me.

Well I definitely missed an opportunity. I had planned on fishing the Little J this morning but the phone calls I made on Thursday to get a temp were not successful. So after looking at the below average flow and knowing what air temps have been (where I live), I decided to play it safe and stay home. Oh well…
With the current weather pattern, it was very likely too warm today.

Several years ago, someone put up a link to a site where you could check its water temp
But I can't recall the name of it
Maybe another member can chime in ......

With the current weather pattern, it was very likely too warm today.

Several years ago, someone put up a link to a site where you could check its water temp
But I can't recall the name of it
Maybe another member can chime in ......
I agree. It was probably in the 70s today.

In the summer it frequently goes over 70F. The warmest temp I ever recorded was 76F, in the lower end.

The only "live" monitoring is upstream of the major springs. One monitoring station was discontinued due to equipment damage (ice) and funding issues. The other is here: https://www.srbc.net/continuous-instream-monitoring/monitoringData/RecentResults

Above Greier school (Birmingham) is the warmest part of the river, next is Baree and the coolest is from babe/Shonenberger road to Spruce creek. Generally (check the temps) if the high temp recorded at the SRBC station is 22 or below, the fishing temps are ok in the coolest part of the river.
The river is real, real low right now. This is stressful too. If we have a warm night and followed by a clear sunny day, I would not burn the gas. There are other streams that are cooler and handle low water better

Thanks guys, Im waiting for fall or next spring.... too warm.

The only "live" monitoring is upstream of the major springs. One monitoring station was discontinued due to equipment damage (ice) and funding issues. The other is here: https://www.srbc.net/continuous-instream-monitoring/monitoringData/RecentResults

Above Greier school (Birmingham) is the warmest part of the river, next is Baree and the coolest is from babe/Shonenberger road to Spruce creek. Generally (check the temps) if the high temp recorded at the SRBC station is 22 or below, the fishing temps are ok in the coolest part of the river.
The river is real, real low right now. This is stressful too. If we have a warm night and followed by a clear sunny day, I would not burn the gas. There are other streams that are cooler and handle low water better
Thanks for posting the link. The temperature and turbidity are very important indicators. I had it once. but couldn't find it.

Thanks guys, Im waiting for fall or next spring.... too warm.
I generally quit fishing it by late june/ early july.
And don't resume until mid sept.

However, a cool snap with several overcast or rainy days could make things OK.
And I have plenty of friends in the area that I could call with current conditions

Back