Little J Next Week

V

VictoryLights

I’m hoping to make it to the Little J towards the end of next week. Weather is looking to be around 60 degrees.

Could anyone help me with fly recommendations? I only make it out there once a year if I’m lucky.

I don’t fish LJ but central PA has black stoneflies size 12 this time of year. Very common.

Dry, nymph, both?
Will be too early to expect any real consistent dry fly action still I think. And as many LBS’s as I see crawling around on stream side rocks this time of year, I never find the fish especially interested in them, at least not on the surface. And any generic nymph works for me at the same success rate (or lack thereof) as the nymph version. If I was there I’d toss an egg with a big heavy BH of some sort beneath it.

Watch the flows. 800 cfs and rising. Too high for my taste, especially in a cold water scenario. Attempting any wading will be dangerous at best, deadly at worst at that flow with cold water.

There could be midges, BWOs or Quill Gordons as well on top. I would bring some of the various early season dry flies and flip a few rocks to see what nymphs appear to be active if you must nymph.

Mind the gauge. Supposed to get 3 to 7 inches snow this weekend, and it's been high a good while as it is. If only one trip a year I'd choose April or May.

If the water cooperates you could very easily see a fishable hatch of bwo's. I've been down 5 different days since Tuesday last week. Fished 4 of the 5 days. Yesterday was the most bugs yet but still not enough to get the fish going on top. I think it was flowing 650ish yesterday afternoon. Take care if the flow is in that range on your trip but if there are enough bugs, you'll find fish working them if you look in the right places.

Just as the BWO were about to pop, we will have a low in teens. As others have written, I expect the J to be unfishable by tuesday or wednesday due to run off

Thanks for the tips. I may delay this trip as suggested and hit a mountain stream instead. Thank you!

It was close to being fishable the other day. And I had some thoughts about trying it.
But It's likely gonna be awhile now........

I was thinking of calling you with RH out of town.....but reached the same conclusion...maybe by Friday

Tom -

Got about 6 inches of snow here yesterday.
And I assume the same amount at the j.
With the big warm up forecast for tomorrow, a lot of that will melt and likely raise it more.
So yeah, maybe thursday or friday

Gauge isn’t as bad as I imagined unless the snow melt will result in multiple day gradual increases. I was targeting Friday. Sitting at 600 cfs right now.

Yeah, I was surprised at the flows the last few days - it dropped several inches.
I have fished it at the level it was earlier today, in the upper sections above spruce creek.
But it did just bump up an inch in the last few hours.
Likely the snow melt from todays warmup, just finally making its way into the stream

the watershed appears to be "holding" the runoff better than I thought it would. There is plenty of snow on the mountains/ridges, but run off from this can be gradual. Keep an open mind and check the gauge. To be clear, the water will be high, but you can pick your spots and fish.

The Little J is my favorite river, and I am not picky about conditions, but I won’t even try to fish it unless it is under 500. Too many close calls, that water is swift. And I am still pretty nimble and strong.

The Little J is my home water. As stated by dudemanspecial, I do not consider fishing until the USGS water gage at the Spruce Creek is below 500.

I skipped out on this trip and I’m trying to replan for May. In general, how crowded is the stream on weekends in May?

I skipped out on this trip and I’m trying to replan for May. In general, how crowded is the stream on weekends in May?

It’s probably the second or third most popular Trout stream in PA in terms of angler hours per year, and weekends in May I’m sure are the most angler hours per day of any time of year. So relatively speaking, it’ll be crowded.

But, that said, it’s a big waterway with generally good access, and a good head of Trout no matter where you are. I’ve always been able to find a place to fish, and if the bugs/conditions are right you’ll have more fish to work on than you can possibly catch. (Catching them, at least for me, can prove difficult.)

Short answer - Go (assuming flows are ok), enjoy your trip. Better to be there looking for a spot and fishing than sitting at home.

Last edited:
Back