Little J common access point

Andrwhite610

Andrwhite610

I’ll be in the area of little J with my father this weekend. We will mostly be fishing a smaller creek and some smallmouth fishing on the big J around Mt. Union but would like to spend half a day on little J. Is the location I’ve included in the image considered the primary or most popular access point? Or can anyone suggest other well known access points for me? Im not looking to avoid other anglers or find the lesser known access, just want to be able to get on the water fairly simply with my father along. Also want to avoid trespassing confusion as it seems a club owns a stretch. I’ve done some research but not coming up with crystal clear access. Hope I’m not asking too much here. Thanks!

Attachments

• 11A12834-3802-4E98-B654-AD5E4011C813.png
    11A12834-3802-4E98-B654-AD5E4011C813.png
    876.9 KB · Views: 240
Just stop in Spruce Creek Outfitters (near the bridge on Rt 45). Allen can give you plenty of up-to-date advice on where, when and how to fish the Little J.

Just stop in Spruce Creek Outfitters (near the bridge on Rt 45). Allen can give you plenty of up-to-date advice on where, when and how to fish the Little J.
Hmm it appears it will be closed Sunday when I will be there. According to hours on Google.

The Little Juniata natural area marked on that map is a parking lot located in Rothrock state forest so it is public. There is a trail that goes upstream for a few miles before you hit private property but you can still fish it as long as you keep your feet in the water. That lot does get full if you aren't there early and it is a busy stretch but there is plenty of water

Driving along that road through barree and downstream is mostly public with many pull offs and it is my favorite stretch to fish. There is a stretch that is private property but is clearly marked.

Last edited:
The Little Juniata natural area marked on that map is a parking lot located in Rothrock state forest so it is public. There is a trail that goes upstream for a few miles before you hit private property but you can still fish it as long as you keep your feet in the water. That lot does get full if you aren't there early and it is a busy stretch but there is plenty of water

Driving along that road through barree and downstream is mostly public with many pull offs and it is my favorite stretch to fish. There is a stretch that is private property but is clearly marked.
Thanks extremely helpful! “Many pull offs” is what I wanted to hear haha.

there is plenty of access, many easy to get to. The J is low and clear but, the water temps are fine. Along 453 from Spruce creek to tyrone is popular and along Union furnace road. Respect the postings around the yellow house-no parking where indicated and walk around the the house/yard instead of through it.
Access at the quarry is good.

there is plenty of access, many easy to get to. The J is low and clear but, the water temps are fine. Along 453 from Spruce creek to tyrone is popular and along Union furnace road. Respect the postings around the yellow house-no parking where indicated and walk around the the house/yard instead of through it.
Is the LJ usually fishable in the summer temp wise? I have a PA fly fishing book that states that it is but I want to make sure. It's a 3 hour + drive and I don't want to take the chance of stressing the fish population.

Very helpful, thanks!

Is the LJ usually fishable in the summer temp wise? I have a PA fly fishing book that states that it is but I want to make sure. It's a 3 hour + drive and I don't want to take the chance of stressing the fish population.
It depends on the section and time of day - similar to other PA streams. There is a stretch in the upper portion of the J where a bunch of springs dump in where it cools off the water a lot leaving it fishable for most of the morning hours in the summer. but it usually warms up pretty good in the summer. If you're taking a 3+ hour trip - IMO it would be worth your time to make a weekend out of it and camp - fish the bigger water in the morning and tribs in the afternoon.

I have a similar drive time to the LJR and do not feel it is worth it in July and August. Have I done it? Yes. Is it worth while? For me, no. You have far more really slow days than good days during those months.
Go fish smallies or drive to a tailwater during the summer if that is practical.

You can get up to date information on stream temperature, hatches, etc. on TCO Fly Shops website. They have a branch in state college and update information on area streams almost daily.

If you find the water is too warm to fish, you can always fish the Frankstown branch of the Juniata River or the main Juniata River for smallmouth. They are a blast on the fly rod as well and I fish for them often with my 9’ 5 weight trout rod. There is lots of great water to fish in the area.

You can find good information on some access points for the Little Juniata River, the Frankstown Branch, and the Juniata River on the Juniata River Water trail map- upper section. Links for TCO stream reports and the Juniata River water trail are listed below:

You can get up to date information on stream temperature, hatches, etc. on TCO Fly Shops website. They have a branch in state college and update information on area streams almost daily.

If you find the water is too warm to fish, you can always fish the Frankstown branch of the Juniata River or the main Juniata River for smallmouth. They are a blast on the fly rod as well and I fish for them often with my 9’ 5 weight trout rod. There is lots of great water to fish in the area.

You can find good information on some access points for the Little Juniata River, the Frankstown Branch, and the Juniata River on the Juniata River Water trail map- upper section. Links for TCO stream reports and the Juniata River water trail are listed below:

I wouldn't say the Frank is a good option if the Little J is too warm. The Frank in the lower sections has limited to no cold-water inputs to it, where it usually warms faster than the J and earlier in the season. The Frank is great for summer smallmouth close to its mouth

I wouldn't say the Frank is a good option if the Little J is too warm. The Frank in the lower sections has limited to no cold-water inputs to it, where it usually warms faster than the J and earlier in the season. The Frank is great for summer smallmouth close to its mouth
How is the Frankston Branch for summer fishing with kids? Is it wadeable?

“…fish the Frankstown branch of the Juniata River or main Juniata River for smallmouth”

Yes, my comment was to suggest fishing for smallmouth in the Franskstown Branch or main stem Juniata. Both the Frankstown Branch and Juniata offer good smallmouth fishing which is a great option if the water is too warm for trout. The Frankstown branch in the immediate vicinity of the Little Juniata area (around the town of Alexandria) offers good smallmouth fishing.

“…fish the Frankstown branch of the Juniata River or main Juniata River for smallmouth”

Yes, my comment was to suggest fishing for smallmouth in the Franskstown Branch or main stem Juniata. Both the Frankstown Branch and Juniata offer good smallmouth fishing which is a great option if the water is too warm for trout. The Frankstown branch in the immediate vicinity of the Little Juniata area (around the town of Alexandria) offers good smallmouth fishing.
Didn't see the smallmouth part! I need to go back to reading lessons LOL

Didn't see the smallmouth part! I need to go back to reading lessons LOL
No problem haha. I definitely agree with you though the Frankstown branch will run warmer than the Little J.

Back