Little Chartiers Creek, Allegany County

fishingnoob

fishingnoob

Hey guys. So im down in the Pittsburgh area again for work and looking to possibly do a bit of fishing down here during my stay. One stream that is close by to where I work according to the paflyfish map is Little Chartiers Creek. I however looked on the PF&BC website and saw that there were no recent stockings done to the stream. Is this a spring trout season only stream or are there any stockings done by the TU chapter?? It looks like a good stream so im hoping it is.

Have to make the correction that Little Chartiers Creek is actually in Washington County NOT Allegany. Sorry for the mix up

Yeah, it doesn't hold fish over. I lived a mile from there for ten years and fished it about 10 times total. Only in the spring.

You may want to give it a try. Tie on a wolly bugger and fish upstream from the dam backwaters on the south side of Route 19 toward finleyville. There is a road that follows it for a piece. There may be a fish left or two.

I grew up in the area and actually worked at a golf course during the Summers in high school and college that had a few holes along the creek. Saw some carp in it, but it didn't look very Trouty to me. Never fished it, but I remember seeing some guys fishing it from the far bank (not on golf course property) in the Spring. Considering the volume of the music, the size of the coolers, and the pile of beer cans, I'm not exactly sure how much actual fishing they were doing though.

Given its location and watershed I would think its capacity for holding over Trout is rather minimal as Maurice mentioned. Probably fishes halfway decent after Spring stockings like most ATW's though. FWIW, in warmer weather the main stem of Chartiers below the confluence with Little Chartiers is a half decent Smallie stream.

thanks for the info guys...hmm...im really debating it...cause its only 15 minutes away...but if its not worth it and if I have time ill head to pine creek instead which is 30 minutes away. Thing is I get done around 3:30 so it only gives me maybe an hour and a half to 2 hours max to fish

Never hurts to give it a try IMO. If you hook into one of those Carp on a Trout setup you're gonna have some fun!

Yeah man, take the rod for a walk....you are sure to catch some big chubs or fall fish...and maybe a left over trout. I guarantee no one has fished it since May/June.

well guys I gave it a shot...fished below the dam then took a stroll to the mouth where little meets main chartier. Tied on an olive bugger and a black stonefly after seeing the hatch at cool spring on sunday...nadda...i walked my line a good distance watching my strike indicator as i went and it didnt even flinch...no big deal though...next week i'll try to duck out early if its nice and make the drive to pine creek...thanks again for the info...who knows..maybe ill give little chartier a second chance

Back