Little Black Stonefly Nymph

nope, just looney...lol
they are starting up here right on time.
I wait till march when the larger ones come off, then the water is warmer here and fish start to feed subsurface..

FrequentTyer wrote:
Here is a pattern I've been working on for these nymphs. It's not as simple but avoids plastic (a personal obsession). Tied on a #16 mustad 37160.
Capniidae_1.JPG

Great use of the 37160! I've only ever tied worms on them! How is the hook set up them? I have yet to land a fish with one.

Not trying to highjack just put my 2 cents in. I've been tying stones on that style hook since the 90's just recently on Eagle Claw Kahle hooks ( found them to be much sharper) Both are offset hooks and I've not had any difficulties with hook sets with them, sure I miss fish but I can miss fish with any hook. :)

As I mentioned, I have not had much of a chance to try this pattern, but so far no issue with the 37160s. I have used them quite a bit in the past for caddis and don't recall any problems. They are offset as Jack pointed out, and I tweak the offset a bit before I mount the hook in the vise. Kirk (AKA Outsider) originally showed me these hooks for stonefly patterns, and he suggested opening the gap a bit. It seems like a good idea, so I wil try that in the future. I really like the look of the hook, so I think it is worth the extra effort to prep them.
Someone asked about the shell back material. It is teal flank feather that I dyed golden yellow. The black barring in the teal makes a nice effect. Dyed mallard would probably be a reasonable substitute., but strung teal is available and about the same cost as mallard.
Mike.

Back