Lithium Deep Cell Battery

wbranch

wbranch

I used to use a 55# thrust Minn Kota on my drift boat to speed up getting through long pools. As I got older it was getting harder for me to lift the 43# battery out of my shed, into my trunk, and then carry it to my Hyde, lift it up to chest level and put it in the boat. It got to the point that I stopped using the motor.

I just received a 12 volt Ionic 55 ah lithium battery. I bought it for it's purported lightness and ability to run at 100% until it just runs out of power. Compared to lead acid batteries that start to drain power the minute you turn them on. This battery weighs 15.4 pounds - just slightly more than 1/3 the weight of prior batteries.

Yes, the initial cost is pricey but they have an 11 year warranty and with normal maintenance should get up to 2000 cycles. I had to buy a special lithium battery charger. I could of gotten by with a 4 amp hour unit for $27 but opted for a 10 amp unit for $57 to get from 50% to 100% in about two hours. The Ionic has a really nice feature on having built-in Bluetooth circuitry. I went to Google Play and downloaded the free software for my battery. Then all you need do is pair your phone to the battery and instantly you can see percent of remaining charge, amp amount, and other features. It is going to be a great addition to my Hyde and I may also use it on my bass boat. I ordered mine from Amazon.

Lithium batteries are making a strong inroads to replace older technology lead acid batteries.

Today you can buy "drop in" lithium battery packs for, among other things, golf carts. In 2017 I replaced my carts 8 flooded lead acid batteries (FLA's) (total weight of 520-lbs) with Nissan Leaf cells (total weight 120-lbs). Not only have I lightened the "load" by 400-lbs, I have 3 times the run distance over FLA's, and NO battery terminal maintenance or water level checking!!

eB2i1iIl.jpg

They are pricey. But the discharge profile, weight and long life make them worthwhile IMO.

A lead acid battery can only be discharged 50 % or the battery life is shortened considerably. So a 50 AH lead acid battery is really a 25 AH battery if you want to get full life from that battery.

Lithiums don't do that. They maintain a "full charge" to the end then "fall off the cliff".

You've made the right choice...

A friend of mine has a Dakota in his Clackacraft. It was $499 and went on sale for $450. Still too much for me. But when I saw the Ionic for $350 I bought it. Like you mentioned they run at 100% until they don't run at all.

They are pricey. But the discharge profile, weight and long life make them worthwhile IMO.

A lead acid battery can only be discharged 50 % or the battery life is shortened considerably. So a 50 AH lead acid battery is really a 25 AH battery if you want to get full life from that battery.

Lithiums don't do that. They maintain a "full charge" to the end then "fall off the cliff".

You've made the right choice...
That's good to hear. My friend and I just bought a jet (used). It has a 24V bow mount trolling, so we'll need 2. Out here, we're on the Allegheny. Nothing like the rocks of the eastern rivers.

Back