Literature questions and thoughts

Acristickid

Acristickid

There seems to be dozens of books on any given subject of fly angling- except it seems hardly any on drift and boat fishing. Why not?

Do you search for arrowheads and or other artifacts while taking a break?? Do you have a method for it? I might try to look more for these as I spend more time on the banks than wading.

Have you ever read any of M. R. Montgomery works?? If you like native trout , you certainly will love him. He postulates that if you can’t catch trout on attractors then it’s not real fishing.

Used to look for arrowheads as a kid when fishing Pymatuning Lake on the shore of Clark Island and others. Used to find them occasionally. I always sort of keep my eyes down, out of habit, and I will occasionally find things. Best time to look for artifacts is post rain - washes some dirt away so you can see things on the surface more easily, although that doesn't necessarily make the fishing better.

We used to ask farmers to walk their freshly plowed fields in the early spring in Western PA, and would walk the rows after a rain. In certain fields, we would find 20-30+ intact arrowheads, occasional tomahawk or spear points, and lots of flint/broken arrowheads. Other fields would be a complete bust sometimes. The best fields to target were those located by creeks or rivers where native Americans likely had set up camps in some sort of strategic location.

When I walk larger bodies of water that probably used to sustain frequent canoe + boat travel, I always keep my eyes peeled on the banks. Especially where smaller creeks enter the larger bodies of water.

My father used to read a lot of local history books about native Americans, etc. and he would use this information to take me to areas he thought might have artifacts.

Nice.

I scanned parts of a smaller stream today, looking for needles in a haystack.

https://imgur.com/a/uEvZGE2

Back