Lines

H

Hodge36

How do you choose what type of sink tip or sinking line to get are they in weights?

I am not an expert on sink lines in the least but, to answer the question. Yes there are different weight lines for stream conditions and water flow. I think I could give you weights for them but I'm leery of giving you wrong info. Run a search on weighted fly lines. Either on the site of through a search engine. Wish I could help you more. Good to meet you.

Good meeting you to sir. I was thinking with all the rain and high waters it might be wise to invest in a sink tip or a sinking line.

Hodge - You might want to consider these:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/46183?feat=1112-GN2

Nine bucks is a lot better than investing in a line/spool/backing. They are rated in inches per second for the sink rate. I always carry a few, and they really do work great.

H.A.

Wow those things are sweet! Thanks for the reply.

There was another thread elsewhere on this, I mirror'd HA's comments. Poly leaders are just more versatile for the bulk of the PA troutin'.

That said, on sinking lines, there's intermediate and then sink types 2 through 4 (or 5?). Intermediate sinks very slowly, the sinking types progress significantly in the speed in whcih they go down, and the amount they weigh.

There's also the way people make their own heads for spey casting, etc. Usually they cut back pieces of lead core line to specific weights. Its complicated, I don't profess to care.

For simplicity sake, buy a type 4 poly leader.

Back