Line wt?

TroutKilla

TroutKilla

Hi everyone. getting some mad cabin fever and tired of being inside. i just want to get out on some streams and get the cold out of here!

Anyways, its only my second year going out but i am in need of a good fly line. My rod calls for a 5/6 wt and i wasn't sure which way to lean. Im mainly just fishing for trout in streams. ive been catching trout from small to about 13". I have a gift card for ****s sporting goods and was looking to get a line from their website but not real sure which weight to get? thanks for the help!

nice thread. ill probably be going with the 6wt. and im assuming a wf line?

Conventional wisdom for dual rated rods is a DT for the lower weight and a WF for the higher. On ****'s website they have the Rio Mainstream or the Sci Anglers Professional for 40 bucks, either of those should work for you.

Like the other have said, I like to over weight my lines to the rod. It's mainly a personal preference type thing. After you try a few lines you figure out if you like to over weight, match weight or under weight. Don't let anyone tell you what's right an what's wrong cause there is no 'definite' answer. It's all what you think works best for your casting style an whatnot.

I agree with everyone else over line the rod.

Or a small explanation, a heavier line on a lighter rod will make the rod load up with less line out and give a nicer presentation. While a heavier rod with a lighter line will give you longer casts, the presentation will not be as nice though farther out there.

Example my mystic m series calls for a 3wt line, yet it only needs a "2.5wt" line to load it but when you put a 3wt on it, it casts like a dream. But don't go too far, I was running a rio grand 4wt on this rod, this line runs a half wt heavy and was too much for this rod. But the rjo cast great on my 5wt eagle claw black eagle...

As others said a 6wt would be fine, especially seeing where your from(and looking at your avatar). About the overlining, it does help. I have 5wt line on my 3wt and love it.

i also have a rod rated 5/6 thats a fast action and throw a rio 6wt on it. The 5wt line dosent seam to load it enough.

so everyone buys fast action rods, then overlines them to slow them down? why not buy a rod that fits the way you cast to begin with?

^
I have often wondered the same thing myself. It's all marketing by the rod companies. Look at Sage. They come out with the uber-fast "The One", then the next year we have the "Circa" which is supposed to be slow. I refuse to own anything they make.

salvelinus wrote:
^
I have often wondered the same thing myself. It's all marketing by the rod companies. Look at Sage. They come out with the uber-fast "The One", then the next year we have the "Circa" which is supposed to be slow. I refuse to own anything they make.

Does not cumpute.

Seriously, you dislike the company for making both fast rods, which are trendy, and also making slower rods, which are also becoming trendy?

What are they supposed to do? Make rods no one wants?

bikerfish wrote:
so everyone buys fast action rods, then overlines them to slow them down? why not buy a rod that fits the way you cast to begin with?
I agree 100%

salvelinus wrote:
^
By offering both types of rods they cover all the bases. The same as any other flyrod company. I like Sage rods and own a number of them. I have never bought an Orvis. I have owned flyrods by various companies ie. Scott, Diamondback, Cortland, Redington and G. Loomis. Oh yea, I have never owned a Winston either but not because they are not a quality rod. I'm sure they are just like Orvis. I guess down the road I should try both of their products.

don't hate the companies, just the marketing. it's amazing how gullible people are. find the rod that casts good for YOU, not the dolt in the advertisemnt. cast as many as you can, ignore the brand and materials, and find what works for how you like to cast and how you like to fish.
I laugh so hard when I hear, "oh yeah, dude! you gotta get the latest shoomish ZXZXZ superquadrimodulous zingbinger, cause, like dude, it's so freakin cool dude"!
It's a poor carpenter that blames his tools.

^
Thanks for expressing it better than I did. And with each iteration of these "must have" rods, the price goes up. You can get a nice cane rod for those prices anymore, or several less expensive glass or graphite rods that fish just as well.

Best way to figure out which is best is to go to a fly shop and try out various lines before you buy one. See which line casts best with your rod. Most shops have a bunch of reels set up, all you have to do is ask.

Back