Line Weight!

Baron

Baron

I have two reels that were used and already lined when I bought them.
One was a Martin CC65 'Cheapo' while the other is an old Orvis Wye. They don't have any identifying marks to indicate what line size they are carrying. They seem thin.

I have two lines that I have purchased recently, 6wt WF and 8wt WF, are noticeably thicker and so I suspect that the one that came on the old reels.

Is there a way to tell what size they are without channeling the original owners?

Baron wrote:
I have two reels that were used and already lined when I bought them.
One was a Martin CC65 'Cheapo' while the other is an old Orvis Wye. They don't have any identifying marks to indicate what line size they are carrying. They seem thin.

I have two lines that I have purchased recently, 6wt WF and 8wt WF, are noticeably thicker and so I suspect that the one that came on the old reels.

Is there a way to tell what size they are without channeling the original owners?

String the lines up on your your rod and cast them. If they cast well they are good......if not they're no good.

afishinado wrote:
String the lines up on your your rod and cast them. If they cast well they are good......if not they're no good.

ha ha ha , funny but short sighted.

So When I re-order new lines do I say to the clerk to string up the new lines and sell me the one that casts well?

See my point, lol?

They do cast well but not when the wind kicks. That also makes me think that they are somewhat lighter.The one in the middle is Cortland 333 8wt WF.
What are the two outside lines. They cast much lighter and are pleasant on my 6wt rod but they are tougher to cast in strong wind. The green feels lighter than the yellow and is slightly more predictable. The yellow can side cast better as it seems thicker but limper.

Attachments

• IMG_7185.jpg
    IMG_7185.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 3
Baron wrote:

You can lay the first 30ft on a powder scale (or any scale that reads in grains) and weigh them, then compare that to the AFTMA standards for fly lines weights.

MIGHT BE A PAIN BUT STRIP THEM DOWN THE OPPOSITE END. IF THEY ARE CORTLAND LINES THEY MIGHT BE MARKED AT THE END. YOU'LL ALSO BE ABLE TO TELL IF THEY'RE WEIGHT FORWARD OR DOUBLE TAPER. IF THEY HAVEN'T ALREADY, YOU CAN TURN THE DOUBLE TAPER AROUND AND HAVE A BASICALLY NEW LINE.

there isn't any labeling. They appear to be WF lines and I'm thinking of weighing them in grains. That is the only way I can think to do it.

Tom, tell us about the Pole Vaulting Photo. I did that in High School. Straight pole, dark ages stuff.

Back