Line weight

I am not saying I want to throw $70 away. I am saying that I can do reasonable research and find a line that is likely to work for me and roll the dice on its application for my rod without worrying about it. I have been to some very large shops and would think it reasonable for them to have 4 or 5 reels lined up so I could test out the rods. If one of them happens to be a line I am interested in I would have no problem asking to put it on my particular rod to try it out. I would not expect to see any shop have 5-6 different lines in any given single weight for me to try out and I certainly would not ask them to open a brand new line so I could try it. I just don't think a huge shop, much less a small shop, is going to have 3,4,5,6,7 weight lines in 5-8 manufacturer varieties set upon reels for people to try out for a $70 purchase.

Many guys will overline a fast rod because it is so stiff they can't feel it load with the rated line so they go heavier so they can feel it load. I just said if you want to feel it load buy a slower rod or learn to cast properly.

Sandfly - it is not poor casting.

Bruno, I have more people come in with casting problems and they over line to compansate. I correct the problem and they are able to cast the right lines. This is 90% on fast rods. so it is a casting problem.

No doubt many of us have casting "issues"....lol. Proper casting technique is a prerequisite choosing the right rod. I agree that poor casting form causes many FFers to overline or underline a rod to compensate. Also, your rod preference may change after you develop or change your casting stroke and become more proficient.

The other side of the coin is many of the rods built today, especially the faster ones are often underrated. The CCS ratings used by rod builders bear this out. In other words a 4wt is really more like a 5wt. BTW, I'm talking "power" not action. Back in the day, most rods were had multiple ratings like 4/5 or 5/6. Rod mfgs should go back to those type of ratings IMO.

Think messing around with different fly lines and line weights is like tuning a bow using this arrow or that arrow, or this fletching or that fletching until you dial in the right combo to make your arrows fly well.

Most times I use the recommended line weight, but I do have rods that cast better for me over or underlined. Don't let the number on the rod stop you from messing with it. That dog rod in the closet my end up being you pet stick with some tweaking.....but don't expect miracles....lol

Back