line twisting

David (or SofS)

Have you fished these lines in both warm and cold weather?

Jay,
I have used it in all seasons.

ps I'll just ship the reel with those poppers I pawned off on you.

twisting is usually caused by using too small tippet for too big a fly. just up the tippet size. somewhere on the net I saw a guide for tippet to fly sizes. small flies, small tippet, big flies, big tippet.
if it's the fly line itself, I would pull it all off the reel and have someone help you stretch it out, then wind it carefully back on. fly lines should be stretched every time you head out to fish, but sometimes I'm too anxious to fish!

I've had the problem with my line coiling into a nasty mess at my feet. I use Cortland 444. I'm not sure if this will work for you, but if it gets to be a real problem (like it did for me) it might be worth a shot.

I pulled all of the line off of my reel and laid it in a straight line in the grass. This went all they way until there was no backing left. I then reeled the line in and used a makeshift leader straightener to make sure the line went on the reel absolutely straight. I had the reel on the rod. Took about 30 minutes, no joke. I haven't had the problem since. I won't give a made up scientific reason behind why it worked...it just did.

Hope it helps!

I actually don't fish that particular very often but it's been mostly in the spring under relatively moderate conditions. Once the weather warms I move to smallies with a different weight rod.

David wrote:
Jay,
I have used it in all seasons.

ps I'll just ship the reel with those poppers I pawned off on you.

I'm off to the bugger lab tonight.

Roll casting from the same side of the stream all day could cause it? Just thinking out loud here. Maybe fishing a thingamabobber vs an in-line indicator wouldn't allow the line to straighten itself out?

david , if giving the reel to jayL doesn't alleviate the problem , you might want to try fishing with a barell swivel if you are gonna use franks secret trout buster spinner , he didn't tell you they will cause the line to twist so you must carry four rods because 30 minutes on the stream untangling a mess equates to atleast a half a dozen trout even on the worst day of 2009 !

What comes to my mind is how youre pulling your slack line in through your fingers during the drift. If you find yourself wrapping it around your fingers instead of straight pulls, this will also do it. Only answer I know of is to stretch it.

I have had this problem in the past. I have concluded that it comes from pulling the Fly Line against the side of the reel and that creates twist from the friction.

I was having the problem with Wonderline from Orvis and talked to the product manager. He did not know why it was happening and sent me new line and it happened again.

So when you pull out the line from the reel make sure you pull it out straight down and not with the reel ****ed to one side. Do not let the line come in contact with the side of the reel.

I had one reel that had a grove in the corner from pulling the line against the side.

To get the twist out of the line, get it warm, and let it go down stream and untwist. Do not have a fly on your leader.

Bottom line, if it feels "lumpy" that is what is happening. Once it is lumpy the line will be hard to fix. Soaking it in warm water and then pulling it straight will help.

Good luck.

hmmm, interesting skyblue. I honestly cannot tell you if I do that or not...don't think about it when I'm stripping line off the reel. I'll have to go pick up a rod and give a trial run.

I found a picture of the fly line twist. This was the problem I was having.

Attachments

• DSCN2296 compressed.JPG
    DSCN2296 compressed.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 2
I've seen that before. try pulling it all off the reel and have someone pull the end while you hang onto the reel. then wind it very carefully while watching if it starts to twist. the line will stretch a good deal.
ideal thing would be to tie a small weight on one end and let it hang from something to let it uncoil itself, but you'd need a pretty high window for that! might be able to try that with at least part of the line.

SkyBlue wrote:
I found a picture of the fly line twist. This was the problem I was having.

That is it exactly SB!!!

I have the same problem with certain lines. It's not the reel. It's not the fly (a problem with the fly construction - especially with commercially purchased dry flies - is the cause for leader and tippet twist).
The problem is casting and line taper (weight distribution beyond the tip).

To explain the casting problem, to save space, I need to use an analogy - pitching a baseball.
But, to get ahead of myself - it really means you need to develop an awareness of the path of the rod during the forward (mostly) stroke.

A line cast perfectly in verticle plane is rare. A baseball thrown forward in a perfectly verticle plane is rare.
Use the elbow as reference for the pivot point for the plane of energy going forward.

If you've never pitched baseball, watch them. Some pitchers' hand and ball travel forward on the outside of the elbow, and come across their chest toward the left leg.
Other pitchers bring the ball forward inside the elbow and go either straight or slightly out and away from their main body.
Casting a flyrod is similar, as far as the forward motion in relationship to the elbow, and the natural direction of the individual's forward motion of hand and forearm.

Everyone is a little different.

My build and natural tendency is to come across from outside my elbow toward my left. It always gave me the best leverage for slinging baseball.

The flycasting motion of energy is similar, though the casting stroke is not.

Casting at an angle to the verticle plane will impart twist into the line. If the amount of line (and its diameter) in the air is greater than what is still waiting to be carried forward, twist will occur.

It really gets to be a problem with weight forward lines if the head of the line is in the air and you have running line at the tip of the rod. It will happen on double tapers if you have beyond the mid-line transition in the air before you shoot forward.

I've experienced the problem a lot with Triangle Tapers.

The solution is to be aware of your verticle plane, the forward direction, and to not have as much line in the air before the shoot forward.

As far as changing the nature of your body to propel objects forward, there's not much you can do, except what works for you as an individual.

Hope that makes sense.

Interesting Vern...maybe its a problem with us ballplayers, as I still roam a few outfields around my house when not on the stream. I'll have to watch the delivery of my fly and call in the pitching coach! I'll check to see what tapers have it and which ones don't. Thanks!

Back