Line "turn over"

bassfever

bassfever

I've heard the term "turn over" the line several times.
Is this to turn the fly over so its not upside down?

For example, a frog- when I cast it, sometimes its upside down- how do you keep that from happening?

Or is "turn over" something else?

They were probably talking the way the loop of the line and leader "turns over", i.e. straightens out (or fails to) at the end of the cast.

When you cast, the line moves forward in an unrolling loop.

If you have enough power on the cast the loop will fully unroll and the line, leader and fly land extended straight out in front of you.

If the cast is underpowered, the loop does not fully unroll, i.e. it does not fully "turn over", so it lands not straight out, but either hooked to one side, or collapsed in a heap.

Example: If you are fishing with a 6 ft, 1 wt rod, and have a leader 15 feet long and tapered to 6x, and are using a Stimulator the size of your thumb, and are casting into a brisk wind, you will probably have trouble "turning over" your cast.

bassfever wrote:
I've heard the term "turn over" the line several times.
Is this to turn the fly over so its not upside down?

For example, a frog- when I cast it, sometimes its upside down- how do you keep that from happening?

Or is "turn over" something else?

Great explanation of "turn over" with respect to a fly line / leader by Troutbert, above.

The upside fly/frog thing you mention above is more likely a function of fly design and/or fly tying rather than anything to do with your casting. I've seen (and tie a few myself) many flies that were top heavy and landed upside down. Many times a bulky pattern like a bass frog will be a problem. Good news, for once it not your casting to blame! :)

If the flys too large or heavy it will also effect you cast. Many patterns flop over in the water due to twist from the leader and tippet while in the air, usualy foam bugs or frog patterns.

Parachute-Hopper-Tan-Side.jpg

See how a parachute style acts as a sort of outrigger for the fly? This is why parachutes are my personal favorite go-to style for tying...they ALWAYS land upright.

Back