Line to leader

streamerguy

streamerguy

Some of my lines already have a pre-made loop in them which is nice, and the lines that don't I usually just tie on a very short piece of thick mono using a nail knot, then tie on a perfection loop and attach the leader using a loop to loop connection.

I never had any problems with either, but what other options are out there? What about those colored braided line-leader connectors made by Cortland?

The braided loops are horrible for use on floating lines IMO. They just collect to much dirt to float in the long term and the spray water when casting. Some people have trouble getting them to stay on securely. I've never had that trouble with them. I use them on sink tips for steelhead ONLY.

My preferred method is putting a small whipped loop in the end of the line for loop-loop connections. I simply fold the tip of the line back on itself, and tie a nail knot around the double fly line to form the loop. A coat or two of head cement finishes the knot off. My whipped loops are tiny, maybe only a 1/4" long at most.

FWIW, I've used the folowing method when I've had worn out my loops and was too lazy to form a new one on the end of the line.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/knots/castwell.php

This is a sheet bend, but the late great Mr. Castwell thought it would be ok to skip research and just name it after himself. At any rate, the knot seems like it may be insecure at first glance but I've landed a hell of a lot of steelhead using it. The biggest advantage of this connection is that you can undo it and remove a leader without having to pull the entire leader through a whipped loop, and thus no need to completely un-rig flies, shot and indicator. This is nice when switching nymphing rigs for euro style techniques.

I still prefer whipping a small loop in the end of the line for most of my lines.

Kev

+1. I use a line with a factory loop or make my own loop as PK wrote, above.

Whip a loop as PennKev suggested or buy a line with a factory made loop. You can also use UV cure goo products instead of head cement to coat the knots.

Thanks for the quick replies! I've tried making my own loop in a line once, but didn't like how it didn't easily reel in past the guides. Maybe I'll just have to try making a smaller one.

after years of using loops, and realizing the butt section of the leader lasts a LONG time, I just tie the leader right to the line with a nail knot. I never change leaders when I fish, I just make adjustments to the one on there. my loop to loop connections were on there so long that they became damn near impossible to remove anyways!

I'm with biker fish. I use Knot Sense and a UV light to make the none tigon as smooth as possible. I've not tried the method described above to fix a broken loop, but will will give it a shot as the loop on an Orvis 4 wt line separated recently.

Never cared for the store bought leaders - I make my own out of left over lines from my spin casting/baiting casting lines. Mostly Florocarbs. I tried the store bought leaders again this last fall while up at Salmon River and I could not get my presentation down into the strike zone fast enough - so I went back to making my own right away. My combinations for trout fishing are usually a 10lb mono to 6lb Floro to 2 or 4 lb floro. lengths are approx 3' 5' and 3'.

All of my leaders use the same initial butt section of 0.017 Maxima, so I just nail knot a section of that to the line and blood knot the leader to that. To change I just clip it off and blood knot on the new leader. Eventually I have to clip the line and replace the base section, but it lasts a fairly long time and avoids loops.
Mike.

I run a small piece of amnesia about 8 inches to the line with a perfection loop at the end.

I use Orvis braided loop connectors, and never had a problem.

i use the castwell knot and never had a problem with slipping. i can tie it faster than putting 2 loop to loops together and the knot is much smaller

pennkev - the castwell knot is not the same as a sheet bend knot. they are similar but different. either will work though.

sheet bend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3reZ3NuGaQ

castwell http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/knots/castwell.php

It looks like the only difference between the two links you show is that they are tied in different "directions."

Either way it works well and like you I have not had any trouble when using this sort of connection.

in the sheet bend the tag end goes through the loop 1st. in the castwell the tag gooes through last. i've used both and see no difference in the strength of the knot.

I must be old fashioned but I do not like loops. I nail knot the butt section to the flyline. I build all my leaders and adjust them on the water. Under normal conditions I only change the last one to three sections anyway and the butts last a long time. IMO a nail knot flyline to leader connection goes thru the guides on my fly rod easier than any loop.

My line to leader connection doesn't look quite like anyone elses. It's about 1/4" long, almost seamless, and it doesn't catch in the guides. I use a short piece of an old Orvis braided leader. They were braided with fine mono. I just insert the line and the leader and apply Krazy Glue. Never had one fail in 25 years, and there is no affect on the casting (not a hinge point).

outsider wrote:
My line to leader connection doesn't look quite like anyone elses. It's about 1/4" long, almost seamless, and it doesn't catch in the guides. I use a short piece of an old Orvis braided leader. They were braided with fine mono. I just insert the line and the leader and apply Krazy Glue. Never had one fail in 25 years, and there is no affect on the casting (not a hinge point).

How do you change leaders? I'm guessing you use the same butt section and knot on the rest?
I'm not the best of casters, but I have noticed hinging with loops and try to avoid them Nail knot to the line works fine, but it offsets the leader and can get caught in the guides. Your method would probably overcome those issues.

Mike,

I put a fairly long butt section and if I change leaders I just cut the butt and tie on a new leader. Here's another tip: I tie a very compact knot between the leader and butt section. Then I cut the protruding material as close as possible so there is almost nothing to hang up in the guides or catch debris. Then I put a small dab of Krazy Glue on the knot. It will never come apart - the Krazy Glue "melts" the monofilament together.

P.S., I'll be around on Saturday if you want to measure the bamboo rod.

Back