Line Reeling In While Casting

Mechanically, I feel like this could only happen if the reel handle and the counter weight that most reels have are not of equal weight. If the spool is in balance, neither forward or backward abrupt stoppages should affect the spool.

I had it happen on a reel with no clicker. I dont have the same problem with a reel with a clicker.

Stiff grease will help the best solution would probably be to get a reel that has a clicker that engages when line is retrieved. Abel bg reels are silent on the payout but click when you reel in.

I had this problem with an old Lamson velocity that the plastic clicker broke off of.

I got my gear out and gave this a try. I thought that my reel didn't free spool, but it does.

I reeled all the line in, and just made typical casting strokes, and at the end of the casting stroke, when doing what some casting instructors call the "power snap," the reel rotates.

The power snap is something I've done for years, without even realizing it, until I heard someone (Joe Humphreys, I think), explaining it.

And I think many flyfishers also do this without even being aware of it.

At the end of the casting stroke, the power snap is pushing with the thumb and pulling with the fingers, causing a rotation forward that creates great line speed.

This rotation is what appears to be causing the reel to spin. My reel spins about 1/3 of a rotation with each forward casting stroke.

Very interesting! Thanks for letting us know about this. I never heard of this before and never noticed it.

Fred,
What kind of reel is it? I've seen it happen with an okuma and one cabela's model. Combination of free spool and imbalance of the spool. Easiest fix... replace it. Lamson 3 pack would be a good reel and value. You'd be able to switch between 3 different snakehead lines quick and easy.

Moon,

The clicker on lamson serves no purpose other than noise. I had one break off and called lamson to get a replacement part. The guy let me know that it is nothing more than noise it does not impact the function of the real. As a matter of fact, they find that many people take them off because they don't like them. I then took one off on my other real. Both have worked fine. If it's a real old version what I'm saying may not apply but I don't know

krayfish2 wrote:
Fred,
What kind of reel is it? I've seen it happen with an okuma and one cabela's model. Combination of free spool and imbalance of the spool. Easiest fix... replace it. Lamson 3 pack would be a good reel and value. You'd be able to switch between 3 different snakehead lines quick and easy.

Moon,

The clicker on lamson serves no purpose other than noise. I had one break off and called lamson to get a replacement part. The guy let me know that it is nothing more than noise it does not impact the function of the real. As a matter of fact, they find that many people take them off because they don't like them. I then took one off on my other real. Both have worked fine. If it's a real old version what I'm saying may not apply but I don't know

I actually use a Redington rise for that exact purpose. All the reels I have used except the ones with a heavy clicker . The only reel I have tried that hasn't was the Colton torrent.

Can any one point in the direction of an exact grease I could try out on my reels ?

Fredrick,

Try some Penn Blue reel grease. Whatever you do don't use any of the hot shot lubes. You might even be able to get by with a little Vasoline if you don't have a reel lube. Or even a small dab of trailer bearing grease.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Andy-

The reel still does work fine, but I think that little bit of resistance prevented the handle from turning. Or maybe it didn't, I gave the reel away 7 or 8 years ago... I do know I noticed that issue with it. All of my other reels have heavy clickers and it doesn't happen.

I dont use reels with disk drags really for anything, but I'd imagine with snakehead you are basically pointing the tip at the fish and using the reel and butt of the rod to pretty much winch the fish out of weeds. A click and pawl reel wouldn't be a good choice for that (at least how I envision fighting a snakehead). Id imagine you have to hammer the fish right off the bat to have any hope of landing it, and you're getting the butt of the rod into play right away.

Back