Line color

I bought a 7 weight 10’ Path on a Black Friday sale last year along with a Pflueger Trion reel. The line rod would not cast with the line that was on the reel, but really came to life with an 8 weight Risen line I had on another reel. I like the line and the orange color. Think I’ll run with that on the Trion reel
Thanks for the comments

Steve
Sometimes overlining helps, especially on the larger caliber fly rods. I use 8wt and even 9wt lines on my 7wt and 8wts. My 9wt line is RIO Flats Pro (good summertime bass line) and is a 10wt line according to AFTMA charts. Glad you found a combo that works for you.

My thought was always that if it might make a difference, then go with the muted natural color. Because I don't really need to see my line that much to fish effectively.
One time fishing with a guide in Montana, he noticed the olive fly line and his comment started with "you Pennsylvania guys..."
Of course from the standpoint of a guide who is rowing the boat down a rocky river, watching for rises, watching two guys' drifts, etc. If he can see where your line is in a flash as his eyes dart around, so much the better. Not my daily situation.

I used to think line color mattered. I now own rods with line in all colors you can think of. I still perfer line that is more nutural in color like olives, tans, etc BUT as long as you are making proper casts and not throwing your line over fish the color doesnt matter. I mean most of the time you have 9'+ of leader and tipet so the fish aren't going to be seeing the fly line as long as you are making good casts. Start close and work your way out with your casting. Only exception would be up stream fishing in smaller streams where throwing your line over the fish is just part of the game at times.

As I said earlier, I agree it probably rarely matters.

But I don't see the advantage of the crazy bright colors either. Does anyone actually struggle to see their fly line? I'm used to using muted colors for all outdoor pursuits. Sometimes camo, but earth tone browns, greens, etc. are fine. You don't wear bright orange or blue shirts when on stream. Waders are usually on the rock colored spectrum, which makes sense to me, you don't see chartreuse for a reason, there's no advantage to it. Would there be a disadvantage? Sometimes, maybe, err, I dunno, but why take the chance?

I don't see any drawback to using the muted colors. I've always been a little perplexed to why lines are made with bright colors at all. Moss green and other earth tones seem to be the exception, but I can't figure out whey they even make anything else?

As I said earlier, I agree it probably rarely matters.

But I don't see the advantage of the crazy bright colors either. Does anyone actually struggle to see their fly line? I'm used to using muted colors for all outdoor pursuits. Sometimes camo, but earth tone browns, greens, etc. are fine. You don't wear bright orange or blue shirts when on stream. Waders are usually on the rock colored spectrum, which makes sense to me, you don't see chartreuse for a reason, there's no advantage to it. Would there be a disadvantage? Sometimes, maybe, err, I dunno, but why take the chance?

I don't see any drawback to using the muted colors. I've always been a little perplexed to why lines are made with bright colors at all. Moss green and other earth tones seem to be the exception, but I can't figure out whey they even make anything else?
Whats funny is 2 of the most common floating lines colors are chartreuce green and blaze orange it seems. I always avoided those colors.

I think it has to do with either advertising or the line colors simply "look cool". This past September while fishing with a new friend I made I was watching him cast and asked him if his line was SA Anglers MPX. He said yes and asked me how I knew what it was. I told him I knew what it was because of the particular shade of green it was in. I've looked at enough fly lines, ones with distinct colors, and could probably point them out on a creek in a crowd of fishermen. This of course excludes the more muted colors. I know that the new SA Infinity and MPX lines have a bright green color and the older style "Anadro" fly line has a less bright green color. RIO Gold has its color and they've been using that color for awhile. People see it and recognize, and therefore (maybe) buy it. Also, a brightly colored line being flashy in general would attract spectators who may show an interest in fly fishing and therefore be another potential buyer for said line. One line I find in particular that looks pretty cool to me is the SA Amplitude Trout Smooth. I love it's gold to light blue colors.

With marketing it doesn't necessarily have to appease people, just getting the brand out is important, like what Orvis did with the H3. They didn't necessarily make a beautiful fly rod (I like it), but they knew that it would draw controversy in the FF community, and after the Taylor Made jokes were made a genuine interest in the rod sparked.

So I guess the key takeaway is that if fly lines are about marketing then we know they care more about getting the brand out than offering a tactical advantage, though there are some specialized lines out there that are there to offer a stealth advantage. Fly line companies have their bases well covered.

Again this is just my take, I can't say it's necessarily true, just my own thoughts on trying to answer a difficult question.

That's like the fly fishing shirts, with the chest pockets and caped backs and such. They're super comfortable. I wear em all the time, but for regular use. Once they get a little ragged then they finally become fishing shirts, lol.

So many are made in such gawdy horrific colors though. I mean, yeah, they make some decent colors too. But if it's going to become an actual fishing shirt, for fishing, I do not want fluorescent colors, lol.

Maybe it's my redneck background, I come from the hunting/dive bar/blue collar/"work minnie rigs" world. And that's the minority in the fly fishing scene maybe. But camo is cool, and I'd rather be found in that, hunter green or canvas tan than pink, powder blue, and chartreuse yellow, you know? More useful as a fishing shirt as well.

I fish upstream exclusively, without fail. I just can't imagine how my line color could even remotely come into play, as it doesn't reach the fish I'm casting to, which are facing upstream. My leader/fly is all that gets close enough to matter.

@pcray1231, I hear ya man. I was just trying to state how I think the marketers of gear think. I think you are absolutely correct on your assessment of attire for the creek. It is a great idea to camouflage oneself while fishing as wild/native trout could spot something gaudy. I like gaudy for casual wear. I guess our tastes just differ. You are right about some of the horrible colors present on modern fishing shirts. I have one shirt that is white with light pink and blue stripes. One of my friends calls it the "Zip Lock" shirt. I bought another one that a friend told me belonged on Modern Family. That shirt was shortly gifted to a friend.

I like earth tones but am picky on certain camo patterns and don't care for a lot of camos. Military patterns I like are Fleck tarn (German WWII camo) and Rhodesian Brushstroke. Fly fishing attire camo patterns I like are Fishpond and Simms River camo and that dark camo Orvis has that kind of looks like some sort of digital camo variant.

I fish upstream exclusively, without fail. I just can't imagine how my line color could even remotely come into play, as it doesn't reach the fish I'm casting to, which are facing upstream. My leader/fly is all that gets close enough to matter.
I totally agree with you, what matters about the line is how you handle it. If your slapping the water or letting it float on the water, color would not matter you got the spookin in the bag :)

During deer season I wear a blaze orange cap, bandanna and vest when I fish in or near SGL's and I catch fish.

I also wear one of those fishing shirts Pcray dislikes ;) which is almost white and occasionally a white ball cap when I fish the Letort using my white fly line and shiny rod and again I catch fish.

To me it's more about approach and presentation than the color of anything.

Although it does offer a good excuse when you get skunked... :)

YMMV

Anyone ever paint the tip of their fly line with a flourescent color to improve visibility of the tip?

Back