Line color

S

scs

does line color matter? Need to get a new line and debating between light green and orange. The orange is easier for me to see, but do the fish notice or care more than green/yellow?

Steve

Once the line is on the water, I don't think it matters. However, a line flashing overhead during casting (or false casting) will spook fish and a brightly colored one is just that much easier for the fish to detect.

does line color matter? Need to get a new line and debating between light green and orange. The orange is easier for me to see, but do the fish notice or care more than green/yellow?

Steve
Light/bright colored lines start to look grungy sooner.

Steve

If you were debating between dark brown and white I'd say there might be a difference.

If line line flash was an issue to be overly concerned with, I'd hardly think there would be that much difference between light green, orange or yellow...

FWIW - I used and still have a few of the discontinued Rio Lumilux Classics in the rotation. They are white & glow in the dark. I also use a few Wulff Triangle tapers that are pure white and somehow I still catch fish. ;)

If it was me and I could see orange the best...

...I'd buy orange.

I generally like muted earth tones.. Moss green, camo, etc.

That said, I doubt it matters. I just feel out of place with garish colors in outdoor pursuits. And it could matter in specific circumstances, so why risk it? I see no advantage to bright colors, only possible disadvantage.

I will fish any fly line color. I don't care. Cheap, expensive, orange, yellow, green, yada yada yada.

I have a liking for Cortland Peach. My last one seems kind of crappier than the other peach lines I have had in the past, though.

A matter of personal preference. I feel the line more than see it, so it's not a factor when casting. I fish on top 99% of the time, so I focus on the fly/leader more than the line. Even when the line needs cleaning, it's revealed more by how it drags water during the pickup than visual contrast. The only way I see color as a factor is possibly during a mend, when one's focus is on the line. The drabbest lines I've used were green or cream colored and can never remember having lost track of those lines on the water.

Steve
I have not experienced line color being a huge factor - except in clearer waters where you may be casting upstream and potentially over fish - in which a bright line will spook some fish. For mono rigs, if I am nymphing on clear water I have noticed a bright colored sighter will sometimes offset fish and spook them. I try to stick to more neutral colors, but really it doesn't matter. All about preference, and I know brighter colored lines can be easier for some to see for mending etc.

Reactions: CRB
I personally do not think it matters that much. I would fish what's best for you!
The only point I would add to my original post is, if you fish what's most comfortable for you, you'll likely fish better regardless rather than trying to adapt to something you aren't comfortable with.

I will fish any fly line color. I don't care. Cheap, expensive, orange, yellow, green, yada yada yada.

I have a liking for Cortland Peach. My last one seems kind of crappier than the other peach lines I have had in the past, though.
The Peach is a great line. I had it for one of my 9ft. 2wts that I used to nymph with. It was old so I tossed it when I moved. I even like the peach color. It looks great on an Abel TR Lite in rainbow trout.

Cortland quality control may be going downhill. I bought a spool of the Big Fly last year. On the first outing the leader somehow cut into the welded loop and destroyed it. It could have been caused by me somehow really forcing the welded loop of leader onto the loop in the fly during a rapid break-down due to heavy rains, but I have never had that happen before and won't be buying that line again. I'd buy the Peach again for sure.

I'll make it easy for you, buy the line that best matches your rod and reel combo.

The Peach is a great line. I had it for one of my 9ft. 2wts that I used to nymph with. It was old so I tossed it when I moved. I even like the peach color. It looks great on an Abel TR Lite in rainbow trout.

Cortland quality control may be going downhill. I bought a spool of the Big Fly last year. On the first outing the leader somehow cut into the welded loop and destroyed it. It could have been caused by me somehow really forcing the welded loop of leader onto the loop in the fly during a rapid break-down due to heavy rains, but I have never had that happen before and won't be buying that line again. I'd buy the Peach again for sure.
I've bought many Cortland Peaches in my life. I really don't care what line I use. I am a big fan of Cortland Fairplay, too. I spend a lot of time smallmouth fishing and the Fairplay is what I have been using for years.

Just my opinions, but too many lines are overpriced and the return on performance does not match the dollar difference. Marketing at its finest.

I bought a 7 weight 10’ Path on a Black Friday sale last year along with a Pflueger Trion reel. The line rod would not cast with the line that was on the reel, but really came to life with an 8 weight Risen line I had on another reel. I like the line and the orange color. Think I’ll run with that on the Trion reel
Thanks for the comments

Steve

I can't confidently say if bright colors are bad, but dull olive and gray lines aren't good. You can't use the line as a 'tracer' to suggest where your fly is going. Most lines are light green or some such thing and easy to see but not wildly out of character like orange or yellow.

I like a bright pink backing. It looks best against the background of greenery.
Seriously, I always pick tan or light green but have caught plenty using the brilliant lime green line too. Probably does not matter. So yeah, match your clothing I guess.

I use Monic Lines. I think color matters more than you might think. FWITW GG

Back