line change

S

scotty

hello all. i was gifted a orvis rod and reel i'am concerned about the line being old how often do you change your fly line.

That's a hard question to answer.

If you suspect that the line is bad, change it to something you like and then take good care of the line.

I have some lines that are over 10 years old and are just as good as new (and yes I fish them).

I check my lines often for damage and treat them with Lazer Line Speed from Feather-Craft.

I don't leave lines in the heat of my car, try real hard not to step on it, etc.

So to answer your question, "it depends". Since you don't know the history of the line, change it and then take care of your investment.

Pretty solid advise.

Simply, change when needed.
Cracked, not floating, etc. change it.

Welcome. Sounds like a very nice gift, especially if it happens to be your first setup.

Nothing more to add, these guys cover it. If you are considering a new line, there are a couple of good threads here and here in the Gear Forum on this site.

If it's a double taper line try flipping it around , if that still doesn't do the trick , it's time for a new one , as far as double taper lines go , it's like buying two cause you can flip it around when the one end gets too bad. Something to think about if you need a new one.

Scotty,
Welcome to our online FFing community.
As for changing your line, I'd bet you probably don't need to yet. If the rod was used and "re-gifted" it probably wasn't used a lot. Fly lines can last for years. I fish a lot and my fly lines last years. What I'd do, is pull the entire line off your reel in the backyard and verify that the connection between the fly line and the backing (a thin cord that is wrapped on to the spool before the fly line) is solid. Then rewind the fly line back on the reel leaving out the final 20 or so feet. This front end of the line sees the most abuse. Look at it carefully for cracks and frays. You can feel the damage with your fingertips. If this section of line has no cracks, or maybe just a few, it's fine for fishing. If after you fish it a few times, you decide it needs to be replaced you can always do that but fly lines are expensive($20-70) so I'd stick with the current one unless it is obviously really bad.

thank all of yous for your help

Back