Lifestraw

poopdeck wrote:
I prefer heading out properly hydrated and carrying bottled water. Lots of water is not needed if your already hydrated. 2 twelve once bottles of water will last me the entire day. Unfortunately most people do not properly hydrate to start with. I'm not drinking creek water through a life straw, boiled or any other way because 2, 3, 4 or 6 bottles of water is far less burdensome than carrying some contraption to slurp down creek water. Perhaps a gym membership is a more prudent expenditure.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another option is the Steri Pen. I can carry an empty water bottle then fill it and use the Pen to purify it. Drink what I want then empty it out so not weight on my belt.

I too have and use a steripen. I not only use it while trout fishing but also bear hunting in a remote part of clinton county. I have yet to run it out of batteries and have used in >50 times. the only thing it does not do is filter out any particulates, but most mountain springs and wild trout streams do not have a lot of suspended solids in them. If worried about that carry a small cloth to pour through. Its a great device to have fishing, camping, hunting.

I drink right out of the stream.

I never had a problem.

lol

Take it or leave it, but this is coming from a guy who has spent most of his life dealing with groundwater/surface water quality........you are rolling the dice drinking from a surface water source or shallow spring without filtration. I don't care how clean it looks or how far away from civilization you are. Giaradia and Crypto are very real concerns.

I usually just hydrate and then carry water as someone mentioned above. When on backpacking trips or in Chile, we use filters if we don't have the ability to bring water in with us.

I really don't drink out of the stream I was just having fun with the thread. I just carry a Gatorade or water in my sling and try to hydrate before the fishing trip.

Hook Jaw, glad to hear that. I know a lot of people that do it though. especially filling containers at roadside springs. Penn State recently did a study on roadside springs. Almost everyone they tested came back with some type of bacterial contamination. https://extension.psu.edu/roadside-springs

I never drink from springs or any mountain streams I only drink bottled water or a sports drink of some kind.

SO BASICALLY HE'S LESS OF A HOOK JAW AND MORE OF A FORKED TONGUE.

kype jaw

Thanks for the expert advice fellas, Ill let you know if I get sick

I recognize the spring in the picture that's hickernell spring along rt 45 in union county.

Hook Jaw, glad to hear that. I know a lot of people that do it though. especially filling containers at roadside springs. Penn State recently did a study on roadside springs. Almost everyone they tested came back with some type of bacterial contamination. https://extension.psu.edu/roadside-springs

Interesting article, especially since I fill my water jugs from a couple different local springs. And looking at that article, I'm guessing they tested one of my sources based upon the included map.

I once had a conversation about this with a DCNR Ranger up in Tuscarora State Forest and asked him why the water fountains and spring up at Big Spring State Park along Rt 274 were marked as unsafe for consumption. The way he explained it is that if the spring is on State Forest/Park Land then it gets tested regularly (annually?), and if it passes then it's ok. The issue with Big Spring State Park he said was that there's no funding to test the water there, so if it's not being tested, then it needs to be 'posted' due to liability issues. And then he said something to the effect of 'is that water at Big Spring any different than what comes out the other side of the mountain at Three Square Hollow or down at Fowler's Hollow...'

Since then I've always figured that unless an established spring is posted, then it's more than likely ok to drink from and fill up the jugs.

I won't bore you with regulations, but if it is a public water supply it requires testing, the frequency and for what depends on the type of public water supply it is. Not all wells/springs in state parks/forest land are tested, and therefore those sources are posted as non-potable.

to address the other part, I'd have to look at the geology, but it easily could be "different" water.

I'd go with unless it is posted safe, then assume it is not. The real issue here is that any surface water or groundwater that is under the influence of surface water (shallow springs/poorly designed wells) is highly susceptible to contamination.

I like the Sawyer products, however whichever brand or type of purifier you use I recommend trying it out first before you head out.

LifeStraw is probably best for sipping, Sawyer would be better for longer term water supply. Just be aware you need a "dirty" water bag or container and not to mix it up with your filtered water container.

Back