Lifestraw

NewSal

NewSal

Anyone use a lifestraw, or other small water purifier while fishing as a substitute for carrying heavy water bottles?
For less than $20 I cant imagine the lifestraw not being worth it. Small compact, just lean over and take a drink out of the river. I have a old water pump from when I used to do alot of backpacking but the tech on water filters has really came along way.
Any recommendations other than a lifestraw for a fishing vest sized water purifier?

I've used one for about 3 years now. Works great. Weighs nothing and it's always there in a pinch since I carry it in my FF pack. It takes some getting used to with regards to priming it but once it's primed, the water flows. Water tastes the best from a cold trout stream.

Good question and feedback. I have considered one myself, especially on longer hikes. Please don't tell me you're drinking from the gorge below the shite plant, though, Millsertime :lol:

I HAVE USED OLDER VERSIONS WHEN I LIVED IN IDAHO. THEY CLOGGED QUICKLY. ALWAYS TRUSTED THE WATER OUT THERE BUT A FRIEND ONLY HAD TO DESCRIBE WHAT ITS LIKE TO HAVE GIARDIA ONCE FOR ME TO CARRY WATER AND HAVE A SOME KIND OF PURIFICATION. FRANKLY, CARRYING A BOTTLE OR TWO SHOULD BE A NO-BRAINER. I HAVE USED THE IODINE PILLS AND WHILE IT TASTES LIKE CRAP, THEY WORK IN AN EMERGENCY. THE STRAWS ARE NICE AND HAVE COME A LONG WAY SINCE THE ONES I TRIED 20 YEARS AGO. ITS A MINIMAL COST IF YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING TO EVER NEED IT.

Sawyer makes some good water filters too. They have a cheap one around $20. It has threads that can be screwed onto a special water bag that comes with the filter or it works with most disposable plastic water bottles. Just make sure the filter never freezes or it will no longer work.

tomgamber wrote:
FRANKLY, CARRYING A BOTTLE OR TWO SHOULD BE A NO-BRAINER.

The whole point of carrying just a lifestraw type filter for me would be to be able to grab a quick drink out of the stream when fishing without having to lug around water bottles. So I'm not too sure what you mean by carrying bottles should be a no-brainer? The heaviest part of my fishing vest is my net and my water, already ordered a lighter net and am now thinking of alternatives to water bottles. The lifestraw seems like a good alternative.

Thanks to everyone with there responses, I ordered one and am excited to give it a try.

I've had one for a little more than a year and no longer use it. I've literally almost passed out from having to suck so hard on it to get any water through. It might be clogged, which would also be disappointing because i've only used it 3-4 times. The last time i tried using it i couldn't get it going.

I think they are meant to be used for emergencies. I have one that I take on long trips, but haven't used it yet.

icyguides wrote:
I've had one for a little more than a year and no longer use it. I've literally almost passed out from having to suck so hard on it to get any water through. It might be clogged, which would also be disappointing because i've only used it 3-4 times. The last time i tried using it i couldn't get it going.

Are you priming it before begining to suck?

I ditched the water bottle(s) in favor of a Sawyer filter and have been very happy with that decision so far.

A good conversation and would like to hear more. I've been looking into buying one recently and appreciate all your thoughts. I always only viewed them for emergency purposes.

While Lifestraw can be a lifesaver in an emergency if one were stranded in the wilderness without drinking water, I don't believe it should be used as a replacement for carrying in a supply of drinking water on a remote hike.

This is what I found when I searched "Lifestraw":

Does the LifeStraw Go filter out heavy metals, chemicals or viruses?

The LifeStraw Go is designed for hikers, campers, travellers and other outdoor enthusiasts. It will filter out 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria and 99.9% of waterborne protozoa. Chemicals, salt water, heavy metals and viruses will not be removed.

I've drunk/drank directly from every wild stream I fish, after a good many years I'm still here posting. :)

Just saw this video for those Sawyer products...these look great.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154934280396538&id=52543776537

And yes, if you are going to walk any distance, carrying water is a no-brainer.

I carry a Lifestraw in my fishing daypack. I still carry water, and just have the Lifestraw as a back up. If I under estimate the amount of water I will consume, and have to have something to drink, I'll use it.
I've been carrying for it five years of so, and it's still in the original package, unopened.

I have a Sawyer Mini Filter, and while I usually carry adequate water with me, that thing works just fine whenever I'm sleeping in the woods for a few days. The only qualm that I could see anyone having is that it's a bit slow when filtering water.

thanks to those who have responded

I have the Lifestraw water bottle and love it been using it for about 2 yrs now and couldn't be happier

The lifestraw is much easier to use if the water is in a cup. It's not the way I use it because carrying a cup along as well defeats the purpose but it is much easier than kneeling in the creek, bending over, and using the straw.

I prefer heading out properly hydrated and carrying bottled water. Lots of water is not needed if your already hydrated. 2 twelve once bottles of water will last me the entire day. Unfortunately most people do not properly hydrate to start with. I'm not drinking creek water through a life straw, boiled or any other way because 2, 3, 4 or 6 bottles of water is far less burdensome than carrying some contraption to slurp down creek water. Perhaps a gym membership is a more prudent expenditure.

Back