License

On my last trip i realized that while I was licensed to fish for trout in Pennsylvania, I did not have my license on my person for the whole year! I did have it on my phone, but legally that does not mattter.

I Googled this to confirm >

Can I show my fishing license on my phone in PA?

Beginning in 2020, fishing licenses do NOT need to be displayed. However, you are still required to have it with you while fishing and it must be provided upon request by a Waterways Conservation Officer. A screen shot or electronic copy of your license stored on your device is acceptable.

Thanks. I seem to remember that post.

On my last trip i realized that while I was licensed to fish for trout in Pennsylvania, I did not have my license on my person for the whole year! I did have it on my phone, but legally that does not matter. Has anyone had an experience with a game officer under similar circumstances?
I haven't had any experience with a warden on any of the streams I fish, ever. Heck, I've never even seen a warden on, or near the streams I fish.

I get my daughters a license for Christmas, I use the auto renewal and never run into problems. Automatically renews on Dec 1. You get an e-mail the week before in case you need to change anything.
You still need to go on line if you use the license button to order that.

I haven't had any experience with a warden on any of the streams I fish, ever. Heck, I've never even seen a warden on, or near the streams I fish.
My first and only encounter with a Fish Warden was on the day I first fished with a fly. i was on the FFO section of the Francis Branch The guy asked to see my license and then searched me for bait. I still feel violated!!!

Anyone have issues with their new license showing up in the mobile app? Mine wasn't updating so I cleared the info entered to code on the website. Now I just get a new code every time I check my license. All the PA websites suck.

My first and only encounter with a Fish Warden was on the day I first fished with a fly. i was on the FFO section of the Francis Branch The guy asked to see my license and then searched me for bait. I still feel violated!!!
You're seen on a FFO section using FF equipment and a fly, then this warden searched you? Literally "searched" you? Without reasonable cause? I would have had a problem with that.

No issues with the website for me just the hot garbage great depression era fisheries management. I have to get out the credit card in two days and pay them for the right to avoid their hatchery invasive species like the plague and watch the hatchery program consume, outcompete or put a lot these streams that can make their own fish on birth control.

That is where most of the license dollars/ trout stamp money goes unless your feeling charitable and want to buy the voluntary wild trout stamp to supplementarily fund what they claim is the core mission as an after thought. # resource first

But nope website that took my credit card info and gave me license to proudly display is working just fine.

Why would you display your license?
Valid point, i guess its kinda like celebrating what the money goes to. Definitely not something i’m proud of

FC00213B FC67 4117 9D5C 2E6D3A909CDF

Last edited:
I stopped displaying my license long before the requirement to display went away when I saw it floating downstream after falling off my shirt. After that it stayed in my shirt pocket.

The funny thing is on two different occasions I was casually chatting to a WCO while fishing and when he was getting ready to leave I asked, "How come you didn't ask to see my license?" The reply was something to the effect of, "When I see someone fishing with the gear & seriousness you have, I know they have a license."

In recent times I have become a fan of the license buttons. I realize that they are not a substitute for carrying around a license or having a facsimile in your phone, however I figure it makes it easier on the WCO's out there, at least when it comes to wondering about me.

I stopped displaying my license long before the requirement to display went away when I saw it floating downstream after falling off my shirt. After that it stayed in my shirt pocket.

The funny thing is on two different occasions I was casually chatting to a WCO while fishing and when he was getting ready to leave I asked, "How come you didn't ask to see my license?" The reply was something to the effect of, "When I see someone fishing with the gear & seriousness you have, I know they have a license."

In recent times I have become a fan of the license buttons. I realize that they are not a substitute for carrying around a license or having a facsimile in your phone, however I figure it makes it easier on the WCO's out there, at least when it comes to wondering about me.
Yea the only WCO i have ran into was a nice guy. He checked for my license and moved on. One who never stopped me to check for license just approached me on spring creek to ask me to take a survey on a slot limit to manage wild brown trout. He was a nice guy too

You're seen on a FFO section using FF equipment and a fly, then this warden searched you? Literally "searched" you? Without reasonable cause? I would have had a problem with that.
Yep. He did. I'm an attorney now, so I don't think that that would happen again!

I also know that the WCOs used to stand up out of the stream with binoculars to spot check licenses.

Many years ago on the North Branch of the Susky there was a WCO who was notorious for hiding in the bushes with binoculars. Now they seem to be an endangered species.

Still can't get the mobile app to update. I uninstalled it and reinstalled the app and it just shows my old license. Maybe it will update the first of the year.

Over worked and under staffed.
Agreed that goes for the biologists too. Their territories and number of species responsible for managing are laughably huge. Then ontop of that they even pulled biologists and the state icthyologist Doug Fisher and put em on stocking duty dumping buckets of stockers in our waterways during the pandemic I believe! EYES ON THE PRIZE

Its just resource allocation and we know the situation there

Back