License sales up in 2015...so far

M

Mike

So far in 2015 in comparison to the same 2014 time period, PFBC fishing license sales are up by a whopping 16%. Just as it did last year, the figure includes the multi-year licenses. There are 50,000 multi-year licenses at large.

That's great news, hopefully the extra is put to good use. I guess that dollar decrease did make the difference after all- lol.

Hum... 2013 was the biggest money making year.
I'm with the camp it will take a few years until that number is surpassed. Multi-year and senior license sales will hurt revenue for years to come.
Been real cold, with great ice and the ice "fishing has been great" that is how license sales are made.

Clearly a 1 dollar cut and the ability to exploit DH streams with early bait harvest is reeling them in :roll:

Mike wrote:
So far in 2015 in comparison to the same 2014 time period, PFBC fishing license sales are up by a whopping 16%. Just as it did last year, the figure includes the multi-year licenses. There are 50,000 multi-year licenses at large.

Not sure what to make of this. At first glance, it looks like statistically significant good news. When adjusted to reflect the multi year sales, the picture may in fact not be that great.

This may, however, reflect some positive changes. I'm not close enough to the issue of license sales, PFBC demographics etc, to make any solid predictions or claims. I don't think there are any - or going to be any - big changes in youth interest in the outdoors.

Nevertheless, there may be some small changes that are unfolding that we FFers are not yet aware of or paying attention to. Public attitudes change and shift with time.
In hunting, for example, there has been a small but significant increase in interest in the sport due to locovore trends and some new, although faddish, trends dealing with eating natural meat etc. Nobody would have predicted this a decade ago.
There may be some forces at work that explain this increase in license sales that are not well understood yet. Or, it just might be a blip in the ever downward license sales picture (let's hope not).

Mike wrote:

Good news!

Given the arctic-like weather the last few months, it's amazing that anyone is thinking about fishin'....except for ice fishing.

Just FYI,

It looks like trout stocking has been postponed again, at least in the SE region. The early stockings scheduled in February for the SR sections have been moved back twice now because of the weather. Many of the streams are frozen over and/or are hazardous because of bank ice and poor road conditions. Hopefully things will begin to thaw in the next couple of weeks.

I think both hunting and fishing license sales are showing a little strength in recent years simply as a result of the economy improving from the depths of the financial crisis to today.

I think they should take the money they have allocated for marketing and put it some where else. Fishing means parents have to take their kids out for hours on end. A tricked out 600 dollar ipad with a 600 dollar iPhone means the kids will always have a babysitter and parents will have hours upon hours of free time every night so they can peacefully update their Facebook status.

Children who are involved in activities usually are committed to select activities during all of their free time. Nothing wrong with that. My now adult children were heavily involved in sports. Not one fishes and I don't give a hoot. They do triathlons, hike, paddle, and do all kinds of physical outdoor activity. They are out and about, healthy, and enjoying the outdoors.

No matter how hard they try, regardless of how much money they spend, The PFBC is not changing that. I took a kid fishing who had nobody else to take him. He is in his early 20's now and he still fishes. I look at it as he is my replacement when I leave this earth. I did my part in promoting the activity (its not a sport). I will be taking another soon. Hopefully he enjoys it as well than we will be +1.

Why are we as fisherman so worried about how many participate in the activity or how great license sales are? I will buy a fishing license every year until I die, I know this because I am a fishing addict, but I really don't care how many others are. In fact, I see it as there loss that they are missing out on such a wonderful recreation, but then again, they hate it.

I can understand the issue with lower license sales which equals decrease revenue for the commission and programs to benefit habitit improvement, stockings, etc. With the loss in revenue, however, comes less crowded waters and a reduction in stockings which in many PA waters may be a benefit. Doesn't it all kind of counter balance? I can understand that many buy licenses and then fish very little, so we are consuming extra revenue from them and they not realy attributing to a crowding of fishing locations. Any loss in work or projects due to less revenue from license sales could in turn be picked up by private organizations that are full of fishing addicts like myself. Not to bash the PFBC, but generally when the government is involved in just about ANYTHING there is a gross mismanagement of money and private organizations and groups could impart a greater level of productivity given the same numbers of dollars spent. Sure, those groups would not have an easy fundraising technique such as selling fishing licenses, but there are plenty of good ways to raise money and make positive changes.

How is this money going to be used? What programs will benefit from increased sale? Are trout stamps in proportion to license sales?

Who'd have thought Ice fishing a boost to sales, ice fishing into the month of March in the SE.

This may have been mentioned before. And maybe doesn't fit thread exactly but...
I was wondering if anyone would be in favor of some kind of stamp that would be purchased to fish the special regs areas? I would think the type of anglers who currently enjoy these areas would spring for 5 bucks or so.
I would go for that if we could then keep things as they currently are in the Delayed Harvest Artificials areas.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
This may have been mentioned before. And maybe doesn't fit thread exactly but...
I was wondering if anyone would be in favor of some kind of stamp that would be purchased to fish the special regs areas? I would think the type of anglers who currently enjoy these areas would spring for 5 bucks or so.
I would go for that if we could then keep things as they currently are in the Delayed Harvest Artificials areas.

My first question would have to be, what's the goal?
Over and above that, IMHO, too much money is spent on Special Regulations Areas and not inning is spent on other programs. Take the money and put it into anything but stocking any species of fish. Habitat is especially needy right now and well into the future. If you were to ask me that's where the money should go.

Why worry about license sales: PFBC gets its money from license sales and boat registrations plus fines, not from general state tax dollars. Additionally, there is federal money that comes from excise taxes that all anglers throughout the country pay on fishing gear. That pot of money is divied up annually among the 50 states based on license sale numbers and the appropriate number of programs in each state that meet federal requirements for use of those funds. States must first spend the money on those programs that are approved by the feds, then submit an annual report, and then receive a 70 percent reimbursement. Look up the Dingle-Johnson Fund if you are interested in the fed program. Increased license sales help cover increased expenses, which means that existing programs can continue or be replaced by other equivalent programs.

I think a big turn off is all the special regulations that already exist. Adding new special regulations will not increase anglers or revenue. I'd love to see where all the money is going. Is there a site that lists the programs being funded. I'm pretty sure some of these programs are antiquated, innefective and downright silly.

poopdeck wrote:
I think a big turn off is all the special regulations that already exist. Adding new special regulations will not increase anglers or revenue. I'd love to see where all the money is going. Is there a site that lists the programs being funded. I'm pretty sure some of these programs are antiquated, innefective and downright silly.

To paraphrase Yogi Berra:

Nobody fishes the special regulations areas. They are too crowded!

Back