License/permit revenues

C'mon Mo. I've purchased the stamps for decades without thinking about it and rarely make use of them. By doing so I've been complicit in supporting the stocking culture that everyone here complains about. If there's a poke in the eye here, it's to that culture, not the PFBC.

So I'm supposed to feel guilty and donate an extra $16 to the hatchery coffers? Please...

The extra launch permits I buy this year will be more than 3 times that amount. And it goes into the boat fund which supports access, enforcement, salaries, education and outreach efforts, etc. But it doesn't go towards hatcheries. That's a win-win for me. I just don't enjoy the Erie circus or fishing for stocked or non-native trout in PA. So why support that culture?

If there was a wild brook trout stamp, it would be a different story.

JackM wrote:
So cynical, Tom.

JackM wrote:
...I propose that we trust the PFBC as far as we can throw them...

^That's about as cynical a statement as I have ever read before on here.

Thinking the Harrisburg legislators will do a better job preserving and conserving our water resources than the PFBC folks, puts your opinion in the vast minority, I would guess.

"While the PA Fish & Boat Commision is far from perfect, I certainly trust them a heck of a lot more than any Rep or Sen. in Harrisburg.

In fact the main problem right now is the politicians themselves, meddling and wanting to control the actions of the PFBC. They want to continue to hold the purse strings, and enable many pollies to extract favors from the PFBC for their supporters in their districts to get reelected."

agree

:hammer:

Elected reps have to ask for their job back every two years-- with 60K bosses. Not so with the bureaucrats. We need to watch them all closely.

JackM wrote:
Elected reps have to ask for their job back every two years-- with 60K bosses.

Not so with the bureaucrats. We need to watch them all closely.

But Jack............you're a bureaucrat! :-?

Is it possible to register your boats rather than get a launch permit. I believe that registration may be accepted as a valid launch permit across many (all?) states.
And as long as you're not under power, it's the same price as a standard launch permit, but does have a few more perks than the launch permit alone.

Yes you can either register or purchase a launch permit for unpowered boats. There are pros/cons but the price is the same. The registration is accepted more universally and if it is lost or stolen it's easy to prove ownership. It requires a bill of sale or proof of purchase so a lot of people who buy or sell used kayaks don't want the hassle of registering. It may also force you to pay state sales tax on a private sale. You also have to put the registration number decals (and a sticker) on the boat unless it's a kayak. The kayak doesn't require the numbers.

The launch permit just requires the hull ID# (not a bill of sale or proof of sales tax). I've purchased all my boats new and have a bill of sale. But I paddle canoes and don't like to put the registration numbers on them. I don't even like putting the obnoxious launch permit sticker on them, but do it as required.

That being said, the only places I need the permit to launch are PA state parks or PFBC access areas. I could easily avoid those launches and still fish most of the places I like, but the permit gives me more flexibility.

I've heard that some people buy a single launch permit and move the stickers to multiple boats, but that's not kosher.

I'm not sure what the rules are in all states, but the only place I've needed the permit for my canoes is PA. If I were to put a trolling motor on one, that would change everything.

Hope this helps

The license fees go into the Commissions budget, the Trout Stamps theoretically go into the trout hatchery fund, the Erie Stamps go entirely into land acquisition along the Erie Steelhead Tribs.

Back