License increase or fewer Trout

I find it amazing that the PFBC only has a budget for the year of $58 million. Our local school district is $103 million.

Funding pensions and paying for healthcare for your employees is part of the expense of running a business. If a license increase was granted and a lot of the "extra" money went to pay for these employee benefits, well, I'd see nothing wrong with that.

While I can see that some believe trout anglers should pay more since the trout stocking program is so expensive, which I would fully support via a higher price for a trout stamp, I think it's important to remember that everyone doesn't benefit equally from other fees or taxes either.

For example, I live in a school district different from where I grew up and I've never had any children, yet I pay quite a bit each year in school taxes. I think the "inequity" in the few extra dollars the PFBC would receive from anglers who don't participate much in the stocked trout program is pretty insignificant compared to the amount of school taxes one might pay.

Here is a more detailed accounting of the PFBC revenues and expenditures, and how the license increase revenue would be a allocated.

http://pfbc.pa.gov/news/fiscalresponsibility.pdf

DriftingDunn wrote:
Funding pensions and paying for healthcare for your employees is part of the expense of running a business. If a license increase was granted and a lot of the "extra" money went to pay for these employee benefits, well, I'd see nothing wrong with that.

I believe the the complaint is with the pension and employee health benefits of retired workers not current ones. I won't receive either one of those through my job neither will most people. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it is a valid point. The even bigger looming question is would revenue actually go down with a large increase because sales would take a big hit. The fact that there is not a small increase every year is beyond dumb. Making a large increase all at once will lose business. SMDH at these politicians.

Not buying. Will go to TN, NC, and SC more frequently. Better fishing, better ambiance. Also means, not buying gas, hotel room, food ..... in PA.

Yes, there will be @100,000 fewer fishermen on the streams. Multiply that times $41.00.

fishbaithohaha wrote:
Not buying. Will go to TN, NC, and SC more frequently. Better fishing, better ambiance. Also means, not buying gas, hotel room, food ..... in PA.

Yes, there will be @100,000 fewer fishermen on the streams. Multiply that times $41.00.

More room for me :roll:

Back