LGM Bass that wont bite!

J

jradan3

i am currently living in NC, have been fishing a group of lakes/ponds down here and can not get the larger bass to bite anything, buggers, poppers etc. The only thing i get are blue gills smacking at the end of my line. I can see the large bass swimming around buy they pay no attention to my flies. Any suggestions?

Are they on the spawning beds right now? Seems too late for that. I'd try to put stuff right in front of them and move it very slowly. I prefer unweighted marabou streamers.

I would start by varying the speed...from super fast down to (with a popper) letting just sit over the fish for a minute or so. The still popper is usually more effective with smallies, but it has worked for me with buckets, too.
Also try varying the size greatly from micro buggers to 6-8" flies. I would start with one extreme...if no response, go to the other extreme...then determine which got the most reaction and fine tune from there.
Also try early morning, late evening...even after dark.

Down in NC now, I would guess that the bass have gone deep. FFing is not the best/easiest way to catch bass in the depths. Get a sink-tip or full sinking line and fish deep during the day.

You often can find bass in the shallows too, but usually in heavy cover, and as David said, early morning and late evening & dark is the best time to catch them. Good luck.

sounds good, its the only place i have to fish down here so ill keep trying, i tie on a buggers often with some flash but never have any luck, i do have a few 6-8" flies that i havnt tried yet, it seems the smaller poppers are the only thing that lures a strike, and those are mostly panfish and very small bass.

Have you tried a BAP (big a$$ popper)?

The gear guys have this figured out: REALLY SLOW near the bottom. I'm thinking of a carolina rig method where the bait hovers just above the bottom and weeds.

Here's how I would try it: sink tip or full sinking line with a 4 foot leader. Tie on a 4-6 inch weedless stumpbuster (no cone head or similar slinky fly and let is sit. Drag/strip is ever so slowly every minute or so. The bass will usually hit it on the drop or while at rest. A little flash in the tie can't hurt either. You can glue a small piece of foam to the end of the tail to make it float tail-up like a feeding baitfish or other tasty critter.

Look at my "Pond Bass" thread to see how I did with this technique using both black and copper/rust stumpbusters. I would go with black as a default and try other colors if that fails to produce.

Good luck!

thanks fly swatter, ill give it a try!

jradan,
Large bass in clear water can be very tough. I'd suggest that, if you can see them, they likely can see you. Large bass are old and experienced fish. An 18" smallie here in central PA is likely well over a decade old and has seen everything. My advice would be to back off when you see 'em. If a large bass is holding on a certain piece of structure or cover today, he'll probably be there tomorrow (gradually they'll move deeper as summer arrives). If you see a big fish, make a note of his location, return a day or two later if possible, and then sneak up on the same spot without getting too close. Make as long a cast as you can, ideally under low light conditions. The make/model of fly you use probably won't matter - just don't let that fish see yuh before he sees your fly.

I'm with Jay on the unweighted marabou flies. Everyone has given good advise so far. I tie, on a sz 6 hook, a white marabou tail, flashy body (i use pearl easter grass), and a white marabou collar. You have to get it wet first or make a big strip when it lands to get it under the water. It usually only sinks about 3-6inches but I have killed the bass on this pattern.

ok, i just started tying so i will look into that. thanks ryguyfi

Where are you fishing in NC? Big time difference between coastal, piedmont and mountain regions. Pond bass are typically easier on a fly rod than lake bass, of course depending upon the pressure it gets. I have a ton of experience in NC.

I like FlySwatters idea of presenting via a fly equivalent to carolina rigging. I would suggest this method would work very well when you can find good cover and structure on main lake points. At least that is where I have had the most success if carolina rigging.

I was in South Carolina over memorial day and had luck going deep with an irresistable diver(red and white). I did not have a sinking line so I had to cast out and in some cases let the fly sink for atleast 30 seconds. Then with a slow retrieve I would get strikes, However the were not the typical hammering stikes I like. These were more of feel the weight on the retrieve and set the hook.

Back