Letort spring creek at letort park

fishingnoob

fishingnoob

Was up in Carlisle today and stopped by letort park to check out the stream...looks legit, but I wanted to post to see of others have had success here and whether it is worth a trip

If planning a trip, do so when conditions are as favorable as possible. Ideally you can catch a midge or bwo hatch, as that's when I find things "easier" there.

If you get skunked, don't be too hard on yourself. Many of the fish aren't catchable most of the time.

Never fished the park area. But the heritage section is the most difficult part of the stream. But if you go down towards the war college area the fishing is a bit "easier" and there is still plenty of wild fish.

The park is ok at the moment. A lot of little fish through there. Bonnybrook to the 81 bridge is nothing but cress at the moment and is all but impossible to fish.

Used to fish from Fox monument down to old railroad bridge at the top of the park. Usually did ok and it's worth a look. Watch out 4 muskrat holes and quicksand. Can be a little tough to walk in there sometimes. Never got any really big fish, maybe 17 inches tops

Thanks for the info guys. I think the park will definitely be a destination for me and my buddy this fall. If we do get skunked we can at least drown our sorrows at Molly Pitcher

Thanks for the info guys. I think the park will definitely be a destination for me and my buddy this fall. If we do get skunked we can at least drown our sorrows at Molly Pitcher

I would plan on that beer if I were you. The Letort is a beautiful stream with some of the absolute hardest brown trout to catch. It took me 3 visits to the area to before I was finally about to hook into some trout. The first time I fished the stream I went with another PAFF member seems to have cracked the Letort code. It definitely helps to go with someone who has experience on the stream.

My advice to you is to temper your expectations and enjoy the scenery. Stay as low as possible and drift nymphs along the undercut banks. You may get a few risers in the morning but these fish predominantly feed sub-surface. I would probably use 3x as there are some really big fish in certain areas.

Good Luck!

Oh I forgot to add do not step int the water. You might just ding yourself neck deep in silt!

Back