Letort Sinkhole Repairs This Week

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
Be aware that sinkhole repair will be underway on Letort tomorrow (Wed 17 May). This is in the upper FFO section at Otto's Meadow, near the RR trestle bridge. While this is undwerway, you may wish to avoid that area.

A Much Needed Repair!

Great news

Fixing the problem or just treating the symptoms?

The actual sinkhole was just discovered on Friday. Tomorrow we'll be working to reestablish where the bank has been breached as an attempt to keep the water in the stream and prevent further diversion of the stream's flow into the hole. Once that's done we'll be able to assess the entirety of the problem area and move to repair the hole to the best of our abilities while working with DEP and the property owner.

The problem is nature, The repairs make it easier to fish nature. I am curious how they are being repaired. Do you pump concrete in them?

No, no concrete....basic gist is to plug the actual hole once it's located with progressively smaller sized aggregate and then top that with somewhat impermeable layers of clay and what not. Eventually finishing it off with topsoil and native vegetation.

troutbert wrote:
Fixing the problem or just treating the symptoms?

I think you need to add a base to carbonic acid to neutralize it. That would fix the dissolution of limestone.

I'm curious - is this a natural sinkhole or a human-induced one, say enhanced by lowering of the water table by nearby quarry activities?

The only way to stop the sink holes in a limestone valley is to stop quarrying near the streams and don't go below the water table.

Saw the before and after pics of the work. The flow was diverted back into the stream, with a lot of sandbags and stone for fill and keeping seperation. Looks good. Many thanks to the people involved in the effort.

From a post earlier today by the Letort Regional Auth

"photos on damage to the Letort Spring Run. It may have been caused by someone putting herbicide in the stream, which has killed all vegetation, insects, and fish in a section near Otto's Meadow. Please keep an eye out for anyone who may be causing this damage to our beautiful stream."

I saw those pictures and it looks disturbing. Any other word on this? If true I'm surprised it's not garnering more attention here.

No Idea on the cause, but we were there on 5/18 and the meadow and part of the park looked terrible, I didn't see a fish or any vegetation. Doesn't even look like a trout stream... I hope they figure it out and the stream bounces back quickly.

Well, we all have our theories....my personal one is the lack of water. Without water, the vegetation won't grow and the water we're seeing now is just filling the bare minimum main channel. All those exposed mud flats should be under 8-12" of water. I've been harping about it pretty regularly, but look at all the spring creeks in the Cumberland Valley, they are all low, low and lower. Cedar Run dried up last year in spots, Alexander Spring went dry and the top main spring on Mt Rock Spring Creek was completely dry this spring. The bubble there in Boiling Springs where I fill my water jugs has been dropping. Big Spring Gage is still hovering around 18-19cfs when then median should be up around 33. We simply don't have any water in the ground to feed the springs. Anecdotally, a buddy saw him and then I also witnessed a young farmer kid pumping water out of the left branch off Spring Garden St into his tank for use on the farm. Apparently their well is no longer keeping up so they're looking at having a deeper one dug. In the meantime they're drawing out of the creek (which is ok according to the DEP guy we worked on the sinkhole with, farm use...)

But I digress, here are some pictures:
Letort, middle of the stretch above 81, Nov 26. Good weed growth still, typical for late fall, but notice the tops of the plants in the lower right dieing off after it's above water line. You can also note the lower water level as normally I'd expect that rock on the far bank to be at waters edge.
DSC_1488-XL.jpg

Dec 26: Stretch across from the old Houser place. Can still see good vegetation, but also note a lot of the tops are exposed and the low water can be noted by the drop off the far bank.
DSC_1502-XL.jpg

March 9: Back in January/February I spotted this barrel while out poking around the far bank. It had begun to pop up out the weeds that had engulfed it over the years, it had a an inch or two of water flowing over it. This is what I found on March 9, this is downstream of Vince's in the Barnyard/Mailbox Meadow.
18582495_10211628940352792_5640905477086678243_n-XL.jpg

May 2:
This is the same barrel, notice the lower stream level? Notice how that barrel would be submerged if the stream were running bank full? That benched area behind the barrel is normally a weed bed that would stretch pretty much to what is now the water's edge.
IMGP1787-XL.jpg

May 17: Sinkhole issue. Over the wknd DEP reached out to CVTU about a sinkhole that had been discovered. So we scrambled our jets, DEP was great to work with, the quarry donated material and we began to reestablish the breached bank. We put in about 100 sandbags of clay and some with limestone dust. But note in this picture, is if the stream were at it's normal flow, those sandbags would be about 6-8" under water. That woody debris at the far end of the bags used to be at waters edge. I've flooded hip boots in this stretch, now it's mid shin to maybe knee deep. These sandbags are just short term fix as we monitor their effectiveness and determine how to tackle the hole itself.
DSCN1836-XL.jpg

So, that's my personal take on it, the stream is just that freakin' low right now, that there's not the water there to support the vegetation. Notice also where this has happened. The stretch from Otto's at the new sinkhole down to the the park in town is probably one of the lowest gradient stretches over the entirety of the stream with the most poorly defined banks, (not counting the cress farms or duck pond above Trego's.) So, I think with the low water the stream has retreated into its main channel and simply can't feed those lush flats of weed beds. Remember that there's always been that main silt bottomed channel snaking through the weed beds, which has now been laid bare. My fingers are crossed that we see some new plant growth in the main channel and also hoping for a very wet summer around these parts.

Tomi,

Good god. I wish I could say I'm relieved that no one poisoned the stream but I think you are right and that is worse. This is the first time in a long time that I haven't been fishing the Letort. Between bass and brookies I have been having too much fun, but I know all too well that the Letort is losing water. Even still those barrel photos are shocking. Last year when I fished 81 I thought it was unusual that I could walk the bank on the side you show in your photos. Normally I had to get in the cress and sink in. It didn't register at the time, but it does now.

I don't think rain or lack of in the aquifers is the only culprit of course. Urbanization is catching up to these streams. Breaks my heart because I love them so much.
I don't see myself returning to the Letort in many years if it continues.
Maybe just once for nostalgia many years from now.
Such a shame.

I agree with your consensus, now I wonder if it's really just low rain/water table levels, or something else causing it, or a combination. And what can we do? I am not local at all but enjoy fishing these streams a few times a year.

TT,

A big thanks for the pics and info on the Letort.

Below is a link to a snapshot of the precip in the CV area from 2016. It shows a 12" deficit of rainfall in the Carlisle area.

The long-range forecast is for a wet summer, but we all know how forecasts go. Hopefully the aquifers will be recharged in the coming months. Pray for some sustained and frequent rain events for all of PA.

CV Precip 2016

I don't think rain or lack of in the aquifers is the only culprit of course. Urbanization is catching up to these streams. Breaks my heart because I love them so much. I don't see myself returning to the Letort in many years if it continues. Maybe just once for nostalgia many years from now. Such a shame.

Urbanization could be part of it but modern building codes SHOULD leave minimal impact in regards to water runoff. The use of Water retention ponds and tanks should put the water back in the ground at a more natural pace than we did in the past (running down the street into a storm drain). Could some of the giant warehouses around Carlisle be the problem? Maybe a few have diverted their runoff from one watershed to another? Its possible, as big as these buildings are, if they put their drainage structures on the wrong side of the building, they have switched aquifers. I would hope the engineers account for that in their analysis.

I was thinking more in terms of overly priced cookie cutter houses in neighborhoods that no one could ever afford with a normal job.

We fished the lower Letort a few years back during a heavy rain event. The kind of day no one with any sense would try to fish but we did! The water turned to chocolate milk fairly quick, then came the debris. I was appalled at the amount of trash coming down the stream channel.... lumber, plastic soda bottles, kids toys, fast food wrappers, bubble wrap, plastic bags, etc...It was constant, not just a random thing here and there.

Back