Let the Carping Begin!

Amews wrote:
I am from Minnesota and in the Altoona area for work. I was wondering if there was any carp to be found on the fly around the area.

I'm not a regular in the Altoona area but there are a lot of rivers and streams nearby. Carp are common in most mid sized and larger rivers here in PA. The Frankstown Branch of the Juniata is near Altoona and should have some carp as should the mainstem Juniata down around Huntington and Raystown Lake. If you're planning on fishing this week I'd imagine that the rivers are all blown out from yesterday's storm and the larger warm water rivers will need at least few days to get back to a decent level. Summertime will see more low clear water opporunities for sight fishing to carp with flies around here.

This is one thing that I am really excited for this year. I have yet to try it, so I am pumped.

I had a dream the other night that I had a GIANT rainbow go after my sucker spawn, then my indicator went down, I set the hook and fought only to find out that my trophy trout was a big dumb carp. I was disappointed.

Nothing dumb about those carp they are a lot smarter than trout but you will find that out this summer hehehehe

One day this past summer I was on the Susquehanna just below the rt 30 bridge. My "guide" put me with casting distance of at least 50 tailing carp, I presented casts to half of them and ended up hooking none of them.

They are the most challenging fish I have targeted yet. Not a thing dumb about them.

Back