Leiderman Rods Reading PA shoutout

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Had the privilege to meet this man and purchase one of his rods.
What a gem it is and on my favorite all time blank too. Was able to toss it around some on a favorite creek of mine today. Gonna be hard to put this one down for sure.
His work is phenomenal and I highly recommend him.
PA guy to boot.
A very good choice if looking for a local rod builder.

https://leidermanrods.com/

I heartily concur!!

I have one of Matt's creations and we also share a love of Bourbon and Winston Rods.

I also have an affinity for anything fishing related from PA and he lives in Berks and do I so it really was a no-brainer.

I am reaching out to him for a glass rod rebuild project as we speak.

What are you getting rebuilt if I may ask?

I got his Hardy Fibatube 5/6. Love those blanks.
Heck i just about love any Fisher blank but i love the Finish on a vintage Hardy glass. I was searching for another blank high and low to have another custom done. After days of searching I found Matt's site. He already had one built :lol:

IMO the blank speaks for itself and too me, classic in action for these blanks. However Matt's finish work on this rod is simplistic but very extremely well done and classy.
Highly impressed also because my other Hardy Fibatube was built by one very good rod builder whom is known for getting the most out of a blank with guide spacing.
Matt's work is equally parallel here.

From what i can tell and feel Matt is just as good with classic blanks as that guy.

Now just which one to fish?:lol: Guess ill switch between them.
First world problems :)

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
What are you getting rebuilt if I may ask?
After seeing his Wonderod rebuild on FFR, I was intrigued as I have an old beater rod which has a Wonderod-like spiral blank but I have no idea who the maker is. It is a heavy, 2 piece yellow-ish 7'6" 5wt if I recall with foil wraps, a Sizematic ferrule and crappy hardware...

...and I LOVE it as feels and casts like bamboo. I even have a picture of my wife before she was my wife catching a fish on it at the "Kiddie Pool" on the Little Lehigh.

I haven't fished it in a while so it has been sitting in my basement for years, but after seeing Matt's Wonderod rebuild I thought with all new hardware, nickel silver ferrules and a sweet Liederman "shop-built" sliding band reelseat, it would be a winner!! I'm hoping to get some BEFORE photos of it up on FFR in the next day or so in the hopes somebody can help me identify it.

I've known about Matt for a long time. I’m really old school when it comes to rods and idolized the old time rod makers who made all of their own hardware. That, the PA thing and his work is what made a Liederman build attractive to me.

I was talking to him many years ago about building me an elusive 7’0” 3wt glass rod that I was dreaming about since Bill Franke died and couldn't fill a rod order Bill & I were taking about. I was kicking around the idea of a Liederman built 7’0” Steffen 2/3 but right about that time, Matt took a sabbatical from building so I put the 7’0” 3wt idea to rest for a while. By the time Matt was back, Mark Steffen discontinued that blank which is a good thing because I bought something I like WAY better.

BTW - My Liederman is a Steffen 8’0” 3/4. It is a stunning build but maybe I should have chose a different blank because I am not in love with its performance using a DT4F SciAngler Mastery DT. Hopefully I can find a line for it that changes that opinion.

Oh i bet Matt could bring you old rod some new spring to make ya love it more.
Like i said, very good with a vintage blank IMO. More over his description of my rod is exactly why i like it for big trout on spring creeks. Knows his stuff for sure.
Also a plus he scripts beautifully. Im pretty crafty myself but my handwriting is terrible.
Ill look for your post over there on the other forum.
Good stuff.

I had considered a Steffen many times. However i wanted a staggered ferrule design. He stop making 2 pc then i believe. I was bummed. Condidered a 3 pc many times. I know, i can be weird but there is a reasons i look for certain designs in a rod and im very particular.
But maybe someday something from his blanks. I hear they are a staple.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I had considered a Steffen many times. However i wanted a staggered ferrule design. He stop making 2 pc then i believe. I was bummed. Condidered a 3 pc many times. I know, i can be weird but there is a reasons i look for certain designs in a rod and im very particular.
But maybe someday something from his blanks. I hear they are a staple.
I'm particular too but it is more about rod action (in trout rods) and despising uplocking reelseats. ;-)

What I have discovered is, what I will never buy again is a rod that is labeled and sold as a "slash" rod meaning, 2/3, 3/4, etc. I own two, and neither casts either line well IMHO.

Maybe it is me, or not but I don't think is a coincidence that the only two rods I own that I don't love are slash rods.

Of course YMMV.

I hear you on that. I hate uplocking, unless on a spey because what would it matter.
To me rod config aligned with ferrule and guide placement is important.
Less hinging, better energy transfer the more it feels like one piece and casts better. Then you have where the pressure is on the blank while fighting a fish. Preferably away from the ferrules ..... I know:lol:

As far as the slash thing, i think its your luck. My favorite blank is a slash and Ive had others that were good.
But if you get a rod that does what i described above it will toss a multitude of line weights. Like a Anglers Mail Sceptre. While those are not Fisher made rods, i have found Fisher made blanks can do the same. Same with Hardy Fibatube, Fibalite and Fibalite Perfections that were Fisher designed blanks.

Made right on a custom i would not be suprised if you had a 4/5/6/7 wt rod ;-) i own a Fisher 6/7/8/9 wt at least in my hands. Labeled as a 7/8/9/10wt . :lol:
To be honest what draws me the most to these blanks is they are original fast glass. It isnt as fast as new age glass but faster than the vintage. It has a backbone deep into the blank while still bending. Solid because its fiberglass, flexable deep down but has a reserve power for extra punch in casting or fighting fish.

I dont know why i ever fished graphite in small trout rods.

You should try my one piece Conolon 6'6" 3/4wt i bet you would like this rod. Or my Fenwick 1pc 6'1 or the 6'4" 3/4wt rods i have.Transport sucks though.

Back