Lehigh Valley

C

ChosenWun

Just starting out in the fly fishing world and would like to try some streams in the area. Any help? Thx! I hear by the hatchery is good, but where exactly?

from the bridge over the Little Lehigh downstream to the Covered bridge by the credit union is good.

That would be the Little Lehigh. The "boundaries" there are somewhat non existent and you will occasionally have people attempting to cast over you line. This is something you must keep in mind when you fish most other places as there will be boundaries there and it would be considered rude to get close to someone else. But anyway, back to the fishing, it is a great place to start out. There is easy access, lots of fish, and if you stay long enough, a beginner can almost always hook into a fish. It is right next to the Queen City Trout Hatchery and any of the water there labeled Fly Fishing Only holds fish. If thats crowded you also might want to try Wild Cherry Lane, that is the start of another FFO section on the LL. That is usually less crowded but seems to slow down significantly as the summer goes on where as the Heritage section(by the hatchery) stays hot year round. I hope this helps, if you have any questions just ask!

From the junction of Spring Creek down to the Lehigh River is all good. Evening is the time to fish it at this time, however early mornings are good too, be prepared to get there at sun up. If fishing in the evening don't bother going before 7 pm. Sulphurs in the evening and blue quills in the morning with sporadic hatches of Baetis all day.
# 18 rusty spinners early evening with sulphurs of 3 sizes in the evening and sulphur rusty spinners near dark. the best fishing is usually near dark until about 10:30 PM or later.

Awesome Thx guys. Gonna walk that stretch from the Hatchery down to the covered bridge see how lucky I get!

You can also fish the Big Lehigh instead of that frog water, lol.

Im very new to fly fishing was only my 3rd time out. Ive only caught 1 and that was up north in Scranton. Id go anywhere to catch fish! I fished by the hatchery and was a little freaked out by all the snakes in the water!

ChosenWun wrote:
Im very new to fly fishing was only my 3rd time out. Ive only caught 1 and that was up north in Scranton. Id go anywhere to catch fish! I fished by the hatchery and was a little freaked out by all the snakes in the water!

Don't worry about the snakes - they're Common Water Snakes and harmless (they will nip you if you pick one up). These snakes are everywhere this time of year - every stream has 'em.

If you haven't already done so, check out our Beginner's Forum as there are many new fly fishers (FFers) in our community and they ask questions there. There are also some special events for beginners in that part of the state - check the "Announcements and Meet Ups" forum for more info.

Fished there hundreds of times, never saw any snakes.

Chaz ' Check with dave in the fly shop there are quite a few that visit the shop and there are lot more this year than before. along the entire FFO sect..

Back