Lehigh this weekend?

PhilllyFlyGuy

PhilllyFlyGuy

Heading up to the in-laws this weekend for memorial day. Their right outside of Hazelton. Was planning on hitting the Lehigh river right around white haven. Just curious if anyone has been fishing it this week and how ya made out. Never really fished it that much. Also after doing some research I realized this is a water release weekend. I was told its not going to be a large release and I should be fine wading and fishing. Is it worth heading there or should I plan on looking into anther stream?

Try the Lehigh at White Haven. If it doesn't work out, you are right in the area of Hickory Run State Park where Hickory Run and Mud Run run right through it.

You may want to stop in to the Evening Hatch on 940 and/or A&A Outfitters on 940/115 to get info on stream conditions.

Good luck.

A buddy just fished the river yesterday, although I'm not totally sure where. Below the gorge I'd guess. Anyway, he was using spinning gear and did well with both trout and smalles. Be careful wading during a release and if you can't find risers try some streamers.

Follow this link: http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/

Under "Most Requested" you'll see a link for FEW. You'll be able to navigate to releases and other information. As of now, releases are scheduled for 800 cfs, which is a little too high for my liking.

Hank

Release weekend don't even bother. Even if you can find a place to wade safely, the fishing turns off.

I spoke with one out the local fly shops up there yesterday and was told the release doesn't affect the fish. So this isn't true?

I dunno, I have NEVER found fishing to be good when there is a release. Did you speak to Evening Hatch or A and A?

Hey go for it. I am just giving you my experience on the river. Do not let me deter you from giving it a go.

If you are fishing on Memorial; Day proper, no extra release then, so expect normal flows.

If you are out on Saturdau or Sunday, the release lasts til around 1 or 2 pm. So, the closer you are to the dam, the earlier the water will recede.

I usually make it a point to avoid the river on release weekends. More so because of all the rafters, not the water level itself.

Look at it like this. I still get hungry when the streams are up, so why not the fish?

Uh, in White Haven at that cfs it is definitely going to be pretty raging, and with the cool weather it may be a total bust. I don't know how they could tell you the flow doesn't affect the fish, lol, what a joke. It most certainty affects fishing and fish.

All the native brookies and wild brown streams got rain- that is where you want to go, depending on how high they got. Do some research and head into the sgls, state parks and forests, look for bigger streams to get bigger fish and easier walking.

Flow is 450 cfs now. Very manageable.
Release is done at the latest 2pm both Saturday and Sunday.
Outflow should equal inflow Monday.

You should have no problem barring any more major rain, which is not forecast.

Flow is 450 cfs now. Very manageable.
Release is done at the latest 2pm both Saturday and Sunday.
Outflow should equal inflow Monday.

You should have no problem barring any more major rain, which is not forecast.

Just wanted to add that if you REALLY want to see for yourself what the water will look like at 800 cfs, get a bike or walk the bike/walking path at White Haven, Tannery Road, or Rockport and observe. I have seen grown men get dunked at 500 cfs in this area.

I don't know if you've been there, but a lot of the Gorge is as if 200-800 pound boulders rained from the sky into a valley. And then they are covered with a nice slippery sheen most of the time.

I am not trying to sound tough, just trying to warn you that when it's releasing at 800 cfs, or it's around 500 cfs in the Gorge, it is not going to be nice, slow pools for dries. And even if you see a flat section, you may not be able to cast to it or walk to it down a cliff.

Yea thanks for the input. I wanna check it out but sounds like I might be going to one of the other streams I had in mind. Any other ideas for spots in that area that might be worth checking out aside from Hickory run and Mud run, only because I've fished them before.

steliejim wrote:

Look at it like this. I still get hungry when the streams are up, so why not the fish?

That's a pretty lol way to think about things. Do your feeding habits also get affected by barometric pressure?

Will these flows affect the fishing near Bowmanstown? With the wind fly fishing may be difficult, I am considering bringing my UL spin gear.....Please advise

Also, has anyone every tried a green weenie on the Lehigh?

Well I may as well chime in. I have fished a number of areas on the Lehigh. It has been my experience that when there is a release it tends to shut the fish down. And sometimes the hatches. Yes I have used a green weenie on the Lehigh they work anywhere. I have caught tons of fish on them at all different times of the year.

GenCon

So with releases on weekends, Bowmanstown will not be good? I ask because I am just learning about this river....I am really beginning to enjoy many areas of the Lehigh. Thanks for the information.

Jimboy

Yes...the releases will impact that area (Bowmanstown) too. It takes about 10-12 hours after they increase the release from FEW to make it down to the Bowmanstown area.

Typically, when there is a WW release, the water will rise around 2pm (give or take) down in Bowmanstown. THe morning water levels should be decent to fish, but be careful after 12PM (noon) and be prepared for the water to come up.

The rise in water level won't be as dramatic as up in the Gorge or near the dam, but there will be a noticeable increase in level.

As for the fishing, it has been my observation it takes about 12-24 hours for the fish to respond favorably (meaning turn to feeding again) after a release. That isn't always the norm, but it happens more times than not. However, I'm sure one could still catch fish, just don't have high expectations. Typically the water will become discolored and as summer progresses, more algae and debris begins to float down the river during the whitewater releases.

Back