Lehigh River Jim Thorpe to Walnutport

P

PATroutMan

Wondering if anyone has any info on a kayak float from Jim Thorpe to Walnutport. A few questions I have are:

1. Can this float be done in an open kayak?
2. Are the rapids difficult for a minimum experienced kayaker? (I did the little juniata float last year with no difficulty)
3. Is camping an option? Are there any campgrounds on the river or islands to camp on?
4. Are there any dams to portage around?

It's not a difficult float, nothing really more than Class II except one or two might become Class III in heavy flows. There is patch of rapids in JT shortly after the launch in town, a couple of good boulders to be aware of and navigate safely around and then another interesting chute with a large boulder right after a sharp right in the river just downstream a few hundred yards from the Turnpike overpass. The ledges just downstream of the Slatington bridge are fun. No dams to worry about between JT and Walnutport. There aren't any riverside campgrounds, a couple islands in Bowmanstown area but not really a clearing to camp except maybe at the "Teepee" but it's not a 2 day float anyway.

Thanks for the information on that!

The run above Bowmanstown Bridge a 1/4 mile up is probably the worst you will see. Not anything crazy, but can be dangerous if high flows. Best spot to camp would be the Bowmanstown island below the boat launch. Like mentioned by Ryan it is not a 2 day float. If you wanted it to be two days you could run down to Cementon damn.

SBecker wrote:
The run above Bowmanstown Bridge a 1/4 mile up is probably the worst you will see. Not anything crazy, but can be dangerous if high flows. Best spot to camp would be the Bowmanstown island below the boat launch. Like mentioned by Ryan it is not a 2 day float. If you wanted it to be two days you could run down to Cementon damn.

PAtrout.. sbecker.. knows the lehigh very well... one of the best guys to ask info.

Sbecker, we are planning on ending in northhampton area. We are planning on finding a place around walnutport. Would this be a good halfway point to set up camp? Also is there a good place to park a car that will be waiting for us at take out?

I kayaked that same section a few years ago and what others said is spot on.

The rocky bend just south of Jim Thorpe launch is tricky (rocky and you can bottom out in spots) and the Bowmanstown area can be really tricky if you are not familiar with reading a river and being able to react quickly to a quick change in grade and a bottle-necked flow though there.

I had no issues because I have kayaked many rivers before in a 12' recreational kayak , but I was with a novice who flipped her kayak and still hates me to this day for taking her out on that river. It is do-able, but please be sure you know how to navigate and read a river.

Back