Lehigh River flows / float question

greenlander

greenlander

Have a new 12' raft with an NRS fishing frame that I was hoping to get on the water for a maiden voyage tomorrow—floating Bowmanstown to the Gap on the Lehigh.

But I'm seeing that the Lehigh is pushing 4000 cfs at Lehighton and am wondering if this is too high for a couple of guys with limited experience on the oars.

Any thoughts on what ideal flows are for that part of the river?

Less than 2000 cfs at lehighton. Ideal is 800-1000cfs at Lehighton.

vcregular wrote:
Less than 2000 cfs at lehighton. Ideal is 800-1000cfs at Lehighton.

Thanks for the feedback. This seems to be the consensus. Looks like they just got outflow at the dam by 1000cfs, so hopefully there's a shot at the river coming into shape for a maiden voyage by next weekend.

Maybe you should get a little rowing experience on an easier river before heading to Lehigh. It is not extremely technical, but there are plenty of sections where you need to know how to row well to avoid obstacles.

I floated it last weekend and the gauge was 4100 at Walnutport. water was up, but very manageable if you have experience. I have floated it at 1500 over the summer and it is much easier, but it requires maneuvering around rocks and pushing through skinny water in spots.

Maybe try a trip in the summer where getting out and getting wet in warmer water would be better for your 1st float. Water was 42 degrees last weekend.

CLSports wrote:
Maybe you should get a little rowing experience on an easier river before heading to Lehigh. It is not extremely technical, but there are plenty of sections where you need to know how to row well to avoid obstacles.

All good advice, and thank you for being honest.

That said, I'm not completely green on the oars. I've floated Bowmanstown to I think the Gap before (was 5-6 years ago), I've floated the Delaware a couple of times, and I've done a little bit of rowing down in Argentina on some big rivers (though not in particularly challenging conditions). I've just never rowed anything that was beyond the appropriate skill level for a new-er rower.

While a raft is more forgiving than a hard boat, I'd suggest getting some time on slower water before tackling the Lehigh. Knowing the float you are talking about, you could get in trouble 100 yards from the launch, near the PO or heading into Bowmanstown.

As mentioned above,

Greenlander i sent you a PM

krayfish2 wrote:
While a raft is more forgiving than a hard boat, I'd suggest getting some time on slower water before tackling the Lehigh. Knowing the float you are talking about, you could get in trouble 100 yards from the launch, near the PO or heading into Bowmanstown.

As mentioned above, Gap or Bowmanstown -> Walnutport for someone that hasn't been on the oars in a while and has limited experience?

It really depends on the flows. What is easy at low flows might be difficult at higher flows or vice versa. The only stuff on Bowmanstown - Gap is leading into and out of the horseshoe. Below the Gap is the staircase which can tricky depending on flows. Just be careful where you drop anchor, wear vests and you will be ok. It's not rocket surgery but don't want to see someone underestimate the river and get hurt. I'd make damn sure I was quite proficient before even thinking about running the gorge.

After 3-4 trips, you'll find a particular float and your preferred flow to fish. Advice is great but experience is the best teacher.

My brother and I ran the Gorge, from White Haven to Jim Thorpe, during a whitewater release, in a 17 foot aluminum canoe.

Neither of us would ever be willing to do that again, though. We felt luck to be alive at the end of it.

We hit a LOT of rocks. The water is moving fast. There are lots of rocks.

I have almost no experience with rafts. I thought the idea of a raft is that you hit rocks and you bounce off, no problem.

krayfish2 wrote:
It really depends on the flows. What is easy at low flows might be difficult at higher flows or vice versa. The only stuff on Bowmanstown - Gap is leading into and out of the horseshoe. Below the Gap is the staircase which can tricky depending on flows. Just be careful where you drop anchor, wear vests and you will be ok. It's not rocket surgery but don't want to see someone underestimate the river and get hurt. I'd make damn sure I was quite proficient before even thinking about running the gorge.

After 3-4 trips, you'll find a particular float and your preferred flow to fish. Advice is great but experience is the best teacher.

Oh you can rest assured we weren't even considering the Gorge. :) Bowmanstown - Gap was the plan and we were hoping to wait for < 2000 and would 100% be wearing vests.

The river is at 2130 and dropping, so hopefully we don't get much rain this week. If it keeps dropping and gets a bit lower, we were planning on giving it a shot Saturday.

Where is "the horseshoe"? Will be good to know what sections to be prepared for.

Thanks for all the advice.

I believe the horse shoe area that Andy is referring to is just above the boat launch in bowmanstown thats under the bridge. If you use the boat launch under the bridge in B town you can avoid that

TB,
Bouncing off rocks yes....easy to get the raft pinned between boulders and be in real trouble? Absolutely.

The palmerton horseshoe. Going in and out of the area should be fairly easy in a raft. Going into the horseshoe is one of those places that gets tougher in low water due to exposed rock.

I'm an old whitewater canoe guy and have canoed on the Lehigh since 1966(I guess I am really old). Two general safety things to consider.

One - hypothermia kills. We always downgraded our abilities in winter conditions and had minimum group sizes. Winter conditions meant air and water temp added together below 100F. We canoed all winter, but went for easier runs with capable friends. Be careful early season.

Avoid rivers where the water is in the trees. Trees are called strainers and can catch and hold a boat stuck in it. Fallen trees are very dangerous in high water. Trees are dangerous on smaller rivers since they can be very hard to avoid. On bigger rivers like the Delaware one can usually give trees a lot of space - less so as a river gets smaller.

On practical side, high and cold water makes it tough to fish or even scout water. I usually canoed with non-fishermen so rarely stopped to fish, but canoeing a stretch is a great way to find a number of sweet spots to come back to later.

A cautionary story on strainers...

I've been canoeing since the late 70s, but far less whitewater experience compared to JeffK. I do have some training, experience and understanding regarding canoeing and hydrodynamics. I am also very good at solo and tandem paddling control.

For a handful of years I would take my son fishing down the same section of Tunckhannock Creek on Father's Day weekend. One year when he was 11 with fairly low water levels we were rounding the Shaddowbrook bend. There was a section of creek where a 15' tree had fallen at a 45 degree downstream angle into the creek. The creek was funneled by the tree and a high gravel bank. I saw the strainer and knew to avoid it.

The water glided smoothly through this narrow section with a 10 foot gap between tree and gravel. I figured I would simply hug the gravel side and slip past the strainer. Had I been more experienced and observant I would have realized there was too much water entering this shoot given the apparent depth and width. Much of the water was going under the strainer where higher flows had gouged the stream bottom out.

As soon as we go into this small shoot the canoe got sucked under the strainer. Luckily, it turned with the top of the canoe towards the gravel so we got out safely. The canoe, now pinned under the strainer, acted as a shield that allowed me to stand in the waste deep water

I yelled to my son to get up high on the gravel bank as I grabbed and shot-putted as much of our gear as I could up onto that bank. All our spinning and fly rods were with the canoe under the tree. I was able to retrieve them because I could see the orange fly line. It took all my strength to pull the canoe out from under the tree. Such was the power of this moderate sized creek at near summer low flows.

The only casualty was one fly rod, replaced under warranty. It was a scary reminder of the danger of strainers and the power of flowing water.

I took a swiftwater rescue class last May on the Lehigh in and around Glen Onoko.
The strainer drills defeated me. I'd like to say doing them late Sunday after I had been in mid 40* water all weekend just had me worn out by then. It definitely gave me a new level of respect for strainerss though. Especially since a good day on the lower Gorge to me is 5,000cfs+ and that type of flow could stick you bad.

The guy I took the class from teaches a lower level class called river safety and rescue. I would definitely suggest it if you're newer to the Lehigh. Even at fishing flows instead of flash flood levels, there is a lot of very useful information.

Phriend, where is the lower level class you mentioned given, could you post the info? Thx

168805592_10220902930097048_758512863099661963_n.jpg

If you're interested I'd contact him sooner rather than later. His classes are small and fill up fast.

As mentioned above,
Hi folks great discussion ….. I also have a raft… what is too low to float the Lehigh this weekend it’s looking like 400 cfs but there is a dam release . No idea how much water the release will add . Four questions :1). What level is too low and waste of time 2) what level is too high and unsafe to bring young kids or fish 3)what section is best for fishing upper or lower 4)I have a heavy raft with the frame and was wondering what launch or takeout to watch out for as I cannot drag too far and need close water access ….. thanks ! Anyone wants to go sometime
Framiliar with the area PM me!

Back