Lehigh River...Cicadas?

A

awojo

Does anyone know if there are any cicadas showing up on the Lehigh River near White Haven area? If not, any info on hatches that are going on right now? Any reports would be great! Thanks!!!

No, and it is blown. Probably will be blown until next Monday, such it is a release weekend.

Have to wait for this 700 cfs coming out of the dam to hit 4-500 to be somewhat fishable up high in the Gorge. At least the water is high and cold and it is not 100 degree heat wave......so that is positive. Going to be 88 on Saturday and 88 for a few days, check the usgs temp coming out of the dam for a general temperature, water will get colder and pick up a lot of volume around White Haven.

Cicadas....I'm sure they are somewhere along the river, gotta explore.

Caddis of all sizes will get fish to come up when there are no hatches, dries and emergers. Golden stoneflies are always on the bottom. Sulphurs and slate drakes will be around. Go to evening hatch.com for a hatch chart......they need to update their reports more often, but it's a good place to get an initial reference.

I took a hike above jim thorpe on jdaddys day. There were cicadas buzzing in some sections, though not everywhere.

Despite the fact that it will be a whitewater release weekend, the fishing should be pretty decent if you can get in a boat. The water is already up, so the additional release should not be much of an impact. Wade fishing will be tough though.

All this water has definitely given the fish a break, and allowed them to let their guard down, and go on the feed!

Sulphurs and cahills are out now, if the Lehigh is blown out fish the Pohopoco, same bugs, smaller fish on average.

Thanks for the info guys!! What is a "too high" to fish water level for Pohopoco Creek? Looks like it is flowing at about 300 cfs but the normal flow is 100. Again, thank you for the info!!!

It is high. I don't waste my time chasing hatches on it if it is over 230. I have found that to be a good ending point. Now if you want to nymph or chuck streamers, go ahead, but still a little high for nymphing.

If you can wade the Lehigh ,nothing is too high on the Po.

I have wade fished the Lehigh at like 300 - 400 but nothing above that. Never fished Pohopoco and just wondering what would be a too high level to fish it. Thanks for the info!!

Saturday morning was just below 300 and it was doable, but I had a couple of adrenaline rushes. I stayed dry, though. Wading staff required.

Thanks guys! So 200 -250 cfs would be a safe bet ...any suggestions on patterns to take...drys, wets and nymphs...Thanks.

For the evening? Sulphurs

You are going for the day be prepared with olives, sulphurs, craneflies, paraleps, tan caddis, green and yellow sallies, possible tricos in the early morning. I cant confirm that because I tend to fish it in the evening when hatches are on a timer.

Nymphs? I have not messed with nymphing the Po since winter. However, pt's, princes, caddis larva, san juans, zebra midges are your best best.

Sulphur soft hackles have been slaying them!

Cicadas starting to buzz above Glen Onoko toward the the lower end of the gorge. Listened to them yesterday.

Back