Legs on nymphs

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

What is the material behind beadhead copper johns and some pheasant tails that mimic legs. Also any tips for tying this in? I never tie this way but i love the way these flies look. Any insight?

I believe it is called hen hackle but believe it or not i have never seen this done. I am going to youtube it but figured i would ask you guys first.

I've used pheasant tail for the legs on the copper john. I have also just pulled some fibers from the dubbing behind the bead when getting into the really small sizes, say 18s and 20s.

You can use partridge if you have it, but pheasant tail fibers would work too. I have seen some patterns with wood duck as well. You want a little movement I think.

I use grizzly hack fibers. As stated above you can use just about anything. You are looking for contrast and movement.
Try different things and see what you like.

Check out this link to Charlies Fly Box.
http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=17

He has some good step by step instructions.

My preference is partridge or wood duck flank because I believe the barring simulates movement.

Never thought of the wood duck flank. Thanks guys! Will post once i tie a few.

im with trout poop on anything small i just pick my dubbing out....but if i want to tie legs i just use what i have laying around, which would mainly be turkey, pheasent tail, and wood duck

I use wood duck flank also. But lately I have been using CDC for legs and it looks good wet...real good.

rubber legged copper johns SLAY trout.

just a thought :)

rubber legs are primo clutch

i use pheasant tail from where it is too small to wrap as a body or partridge from feathers that are too long to use as wrapped hackle.

i also use long hen hackle with a v notch.i pull it through a loose wrap so it is on both sides and pull it to length

Back