legality of all-mono rigs on trout waters?

K

kbobb

hi All,

As i sink deeper into the rabbit hole of tight line nymphing i find myself wanting to use an all mono rig. i vaguely remember that these were not legal in some trout waters and found this post
http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Gear-Talk/Orvis-Recon-10--039--4WT/3,46065.html
at the end of which indicates that more than 18' of leader is not legal in FFO water.

i have tried using the current PAFBC website to try and find current regs on this stuff but i find their site to be extremely cumbersome with regard to fishing regs. i wish they would just have a copy of the old style book with all the rules.

any help you can give with the current regs on all mono systems would be greatly appreciated. i have a 10' 3 wt Recon coming in the mail and want to know what line/leader setup to put on it for PA trout fishing.

thanks a bunch and Happy New Year!

Here is a copy of the regs from the 2020 book for CR-FFO waters found on page 21 of the regs summary book >

CATCH AND RELEASE
FLY-FISHING ONLY

• Open to fishing year-round.
• Fishing is permitted on a 24-hour basis.
• No trout may be killed or had in possession.
• Fishing may be done with artificial flies and
streamers constructed of natural or synthetic materials, so long as all flies are constructed in a normal
fashion with components wound on or about the
hook. Fishing must be done with tackle limited to
fly rods, fly reels and fly line with leader material of
monofilament line attached. Anything other than
these items is prohibited.
• Taking baitfish or fishbait is prohibited.
• Wading is permitted unless otherwise posted.
• An angler in a boat may possess bait and fish
caught in compliance with the seasons, sizes and
creel limits in effect for a water from which it was taken,
provided that the boat angler floats through the Catch
and Release Fly-Fishing Only area without stopping or
engaging in the act of fishing or the boat angler puts
in or takes out his boat at an access point within the
Catch and Release Fly-Fishing Only area.
• A current trout/salmon permit is required.

Link to source: http://www.fishinpa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/FINAL-2020-Pa-Fishing-Summary-web_12-5-19.pdf

It looks like the 18' requirement was dropped. The only thing mentioned is "fly line with leader material of monofilament line attached" in the regs.

If you are planning to fish a FFO section, I would call in to the PFBC to get a clarification on the reg.

Thanks for that - i just dug that same section out after going to a map, clicking on a stream and clicking on more info - not easy to find for such important info.

Likewise it appears that the 18' of mono limit was not included in the current reg.
will verify this before using on FFO waters. looks like all mono is OK on other waters because spinning gear is legal there.

I use mono for some specialty applications but continue to limit it to 18' when fishing FFO sections... mainly because this is what I'm in the habit of doing.

It does appear that the 18' requirement has been dropped but I still see some old signs on trees with this regulation (as well as fishing hours that ban night fishing).

Afish is probably wise to suggest calling your local WCO, but my personal opinion is that if you have a copy of the most recent PFBC published regs, you are probably okay to fish with an all mono rig in FFO.

I was checked dozens of times by WCOs in FFO section streams (mainly in the Cumberland Valley but also Adams Co.) over the years and I'm confident in saying that I was never checked for leader length.

kbobb wrote:

- not easy to find for such important info.

I believe its in that little book they give you when you buy your license. ;-)

That book is also available in its entirety on the PAFBC website:

https://pfbc.pa.gov/fishpub/summaryad/catchreleaseffo.html

Yes, and according to an article that I read the summary booklet has returned to being free in 2020 following the failure of the $3 fee in 2019.

While it may not be "exactly" the same as an all mono-rig of 30ish feet, you could use an 18' leader and very light fly line such as 1 or 2wt or the comp nymphing line. I'm not sure if the 0w 00w etc are still manufactured

"Fishing must be done with tackle limited to
MONOFILAMENT line attached. Anything other than
these items is prohibited."

Fluorocarbon??????????????

Tigereye wrote:
"Fishing must be done with tackle limited to
MONOFILAMENT line attached. Anything other than
these items is prohibited."

Fluorocarbon??????????????

^ Actually, I believe "monofilament" is a generic term for fishing line. It means "one filament" which describes both nylon based and fluorocarbon based fishing lines.

Thanks for all the comments - I did get a specialty nymphing line from orvis - on sale for $29 now.

i renew my license on the 3 yr plan and did not get a paper booklet of regs the last time i did that - i will ask for the paper book at the store where i get my license.

I hope so. Can't see most CO's being that picky but I have met one or 2 overzealous ones that would question it. They go by the letter of law not intent.

Think it's another example of technology out pacing regulations

You don't have to speculate on most PFBC regulations, except the vague ones that they haven't cleaned up. If there was a proposed rulemaking, look here:

https://www.fishandboat.com/Regulations/Pages/ProposedRecentRegulations.aspx

There is a good summary of the rulemaking process there. You have to go back to the archives for the 18' monofilament ruling; it's rule #277 and it is final, meaning it was adopted.

The Summary Regulation book is just that - a summary. It's not the final word. Look at PA Code for everything current:

http://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/Display/pacode?file=/secure/pacode/data/058/partIItoc.html

As Dave noted, the signs on the trees aren't always up to date. Night-fishing (which has been permitted for at least five years) is often still listed on the signs as one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. Probably too expensive to replace all the signs every time a regulation is changed... Or for that matter, to even know where all the signs are even posted.

salmonoid wrote:

The Summary Regulation book is just that - a summary. It's not the final word. Look at PA Code for everything current.

Exactly.

It states right in the booklet, "It is not, nor is it intended to portray, a verbatim reproduction of the text of the laws and regulations".

Attachments

• FishingRegulationsSummary.jpg
    FishingRegulationsSummary.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 4
salmonoid wrote:
You don't have to speculate on most PFBC regulations, except the vague ones that they haven't cleaned up. If there was a proposed rulemaking, look here:

https://www.fishandboat.com/Regulations/Pages/ProposedRecentRegulations.aspx

There is a good summary of the rulemaking process there. You have to go back to the archives for the 18' monofilament ruling; it's rule #277 and it is final, meaning it was adopted.

The Summary Regulation book is just that - a summary. It's not the final word. Look at PA Code for everything current:

http://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/Display/pacode?file=/secure/pacode/data/058/partIItoc.html

As Dave noted, the signs on the trees aren't always up to date. Night-fishing (which has been permitted for at least five years) is often still listed on the signs as one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. Probably too expensive to replace all the signs every time a regulation is changed... Or for that matter, to even know where all the signs are even posted.

Just to be clear, if you go back and read rule change # 277 it was changed to not include an 18' restriction on length of mono lines in CR-FFO areas because it "excludes several acceptable FFing practices such as European Nynphing". Here is what the change reads from the link you posted above >

In an ongoing attempt to simplify regulations, the Commission is continually looking at ways
to improve upon current regulations. One area that has come into question recently is the 18 feet
maximum length of leader material or monofilament line allowed in catch and release fly-fishing
only areas.
In examining this question, it was brought to the Commission’s attention that this limitation
also excludes several acceptable fly-fishing practices such as European Nymphing. Law
enforcement staff indicate that rarely is the length of leader material measured as it does not create
significant problems streamside.
Based on these findings, the Commission amends § 65.14 to read as set forth in the proposed
rulemaking published at 47 Pa. B. 5786 (September 16, 2017).

Link to source: https://www.fishandboat.com/Regulations/Documents/rulemakingsDocs/277finp.pdf

Back