Least Expensive and Shortest Outfit recommendations

the eagle claw even comes in six foot six. over line it a weight or two and you'll be set.

if you're near philly i might have an extra graphite pflueger click and pawl sitting around.

I use 5wt on the 6'6". I'm serious, its a rod they'll use if they stay with the sport. I use mine all the time on small streams.

After breaking one rod this year and losing the tip to another I went dirt cheap and got the eagle claw 6'6".

I gotta say I kinda feel like a 5 year old casting it, this thing is a whole different animal it seems. Gonna take some getting used to.

Like others said though, at 25 bucks ya really can't go wrong.

It's short, and its glass. Its a slow rod. Adjust your casting stroke, slow down a little bit, you'll get it.

Thanks, I seem to be getting used to it. Seems like it takes much less muscle and better timing. I'm not tangling the leader every time and I've caught quite a few on it so far so I don't think I'm doing it all wrong ha. It sure is fun catching em on such a light rod though.

As far as the kiddos. My step brother is out in nevada and just started both his girls fly fishing. I think the youngest is 4. He got her the redington form game rod I believe and zip tied a reel on it ha.

I started my son at 4 on a 7'6" 4 wt. I think its to early for any kid before they are at least 6 years of age. mine quit at 18 and hasn't picked up a rod since he's 32 now.

Attachments

• 8-83 mike.jpg
    8-83 mike.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 5
I started my son out on a 4wt 7' 6" at 4 years old. He is not 5 going on 6 and can cast it pretty good. I think the rod was one of my older Cortland rods. I just ordered him an 8' 6" 3 4wt that I may load 5 wt line on. I do not recommend short rods for beginners. They will be able to cast a longer rod easier. Plus the hook is further away from them on the longer rods. Check ebay and cragis list or even a local fly shop for a cheap rod. I know a lot of fly shops will even give you a cheap rod that is sitting in a closet if they know it is going to get a kid started in fly fishing.

I got my kids the cane bamboo rods with the 10 feet on mono attached. It was great for gills and bass on ponds. Little did I know we were tenkara fishing 30 years ago.

Both my kids (5 and 8) are into fly fishing. My daughter (8) isn't bad, and my son (5) casts about like you'd expect. They each have their own yellow, $20 eagle claw rods and flea market reels.

I think they're more into the idea of fishing than the actual activity and we frequently end up just hanging out streamside playing and eating snacks. Either way, it's getting them outdoors.

To get back to the idea of teaching a 5 year old to fly fish....sort of. But don't expect skill or coordination at that age....but it IS fun to watch....

This is what I started with. Lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1987-Fisher-Price-Fishing-Kit-Rod-Tackle-Box-Fishing-Guide-RARE-/330928591109?pt=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item4d0ce19105

With telescoping rod. Lol talk about broomstick action. Feel every nibble from those sunnies.

Back