Leaser Lake, northern Lehigh Co.: Tiger Muskies and Chain Pickerel

M

Mike

Given the electrofishing results on Thursday night, I would recommend that those interested in fly fishing for members of the pike family and living relatively close to Leaser, give it a try for Tiger Muskellunge and Chain Pickerel. The 2013 stocking of tigers is now running from 26-36 inches or thereabouts and CP are up to 21 inches. Tigers are abundant and CP are fairly abundant. A watercraft of some type would be beneficial as there is a lot of near-shore timber emerging from the water. As an aside, most of the bass are running 14-17 inches. The lake is still C&R except for trout.

Mike, as you know, I am looking to start for musky. Thank you for posting this report, as I only live one hour from there. Is the lake at full pool, and how late into the summer can you fish due to the temperature?

The lake is at full pool...117 acres. Looks very nice and very fishy. Surface temps get warm and during the heat wave the other week they hit 80 deg, but cool water fish were still in the shallows, just as they were Thur night. It used to have a cool, partially oxygenated thermocline, but that may not exist later this summer with all of the decomposing terrestrial vegetation in the lake. If your concern is stress on the fish, use heavier tackle, land the fish quickly, unhook them in the water, and forego the out of the water pics and maybe the in-water pics if the surface temp is hot.

Had a response. There was a successful trip...a fellow caught his first muskellunge (a tiger).

Yes! My 16 year old son is still beaming from catching his first musky this past Thursday at Leaser Lake.

Thanks again, Mike.

I fished there for bass the other evening and in the 3hrs that I was there another bass angler caught 2 Muskies and still another angler had one get off. Earlier in the week I sent 2 bass anglers to the lake and they caught some bass, but we're thrilled by the 36 inch musky that one of them caught...his first ever. This lake is providing a golden opportunity for many who have never musky fished or captured one by chance. Such fisheries don't last forever.

Me too! I'd put my yak in there and get me a sled dog.

If you look on Bing maps "Aerial" view, you can see it empty with ALL the structure and creek channels exposed. Print this out if'n yer going!

Was up recently and disheartened by the abuse these musky are taking. With borderline water temps stressing the fish to begin with they will require proper handling to ensure their safe release.
I watched an angler targeting musky with light gear land 2 fish ( though he said he caught 2 others) and I witnessed it take him a long time to fight it out and land it to the deck of his boat where it took longer than 2 minutes to remove the hooks then about 2 more minutes to take a selfie with the fish using boga grips. Then followed up with a belly flop back into the water as his release.
Is there any way to educate anglers on proper handling and release techniques? We found a fresh 30" fish belly up along the bank where this angler had been fishing earlier that morning.

Thats a shame slay.
Too warm to fish wait until fall

Mike, do you have any information to the upper threshold water temps for muskies safe release?

Slay, no I don't. Even in cold weather and water muskies, tigers included, get stressed with relative ease. Despite their angling reputation as great fighters, I do not consider them to be a "tough fish" when being handled. I encourage anglers to quickly release these fish, particularly since the attempt to land the fish may be a lengthy process when not prepared.

I didn't know this place existed and I am only about an hour away. I feel like a fall day trip would be fun. Is it possible to wade/shore fish or would I be better off with some kind of boat/yak?

Doable from the banks, but better off in a boat to cover more water. There's plenty of easy bank access all around the lake and I might recommend this if you're just going up to investigate, but a boat would give you more opportunity.
Take a peek at the bing map pointed out above for an idea of what the shoreline looks like. Definitely some drop-offs!

Any chance to get musky,inc involved with this lake? With more people comes more pressure, but better knowledge.
I overheard the bass angler complaining that he can't catch a bass in the lake b/c "the slimy good for nothing musky ate them all" but he hooked into a couple musky. Directly after that comment, we saw a dozen bass and panfish around structure in the shallows...

Thanks Mike, I agree. We spread the friendly reminder to treat them like you would treat a trout. Quick CPR and give it the best chance to be caught again.

Thanks for the info slay. I don't currently have any watercraft to get around with and probably wont for a little while. I may for to go investigate with my spinning gear (not ideal) while I try to figure out what I want to do about acquiring an 8wt for bass that could do double duty here.

nomad, my pleasure. Easy access from any of the parking areas.
If you fish, please use some kind of leader/bite guard. And get a water temp if you can.
I was there last weekend (for the first time in 10 years since I was in college 20 minutes away). I enjoyed the day. There were a lot of people using the lake. Boaters/fishers in the morning, a kayak brigade hit the water around noon and plenty of eye candy with the SUP crews. Banks were dotted with people throughout the afternoon. We also heard a church sermon (with live band that sang some catchy tunes, they stick in your heard after the 3rd time playing the set through), and actually my partner gave a "praise the lord" exclamation and immediately had a follow boatside!

I will certainly take a water temp since I have made that a habit this year after I picked up a thermometer. It has been a long time since I fished for toothy critters. Last time was 4-5 years a ago in Canada. I was supposed to go back this year but the trip was canceled. So this may be the next best thing! I will make sure to treat them like trout.

From what I have seen the absolute limit is said to be 80* or else you will kill the fish. I have typically fished 76* and below to be extra safe and keep the fish in the water to remove my fly and then out of the water long enough for a length measurement and quick pic. Then it is back into the net or tailed for recovery until it gets active and the fish is on it's way

Leaser was refilled and then stocked with 1150 small (3-4") fingerling tiger muskellunge in 2012. With no piscatorial predators in a reclaimed lake situation, the growth and survival were excellent, creating a better-than-expected population. Since natural as well as C&R mortality are expected to reduce the population over time and with a desire to maintain a quality fishery, Esoscid stockings started again in 2015, with 100 pure Muskellunge fingerlings having been stocked. Subsequently, 300 large fingerling (10") tiger muskies were stocked in 2016. Strong survival is expected from 10" and longer fingerlings. If restocking had been delayed longer, it is conceivable that fishermen would have started to notice a very substantial reduction in the population and gap in its size distribution at some near-term point in time.

Back