Learning to Cast Properly?

djs12354

djs12354

Hi...Just starting in on Fly Fishing and wondering if anyone has recommendations on a good way to learn proper casting technique before I develop too many bad habits...
I've been on the water twice, so far but I know my casting is rough and I would like to improve quickly.
Any suggestions?

Dave

If you are around any fly shops, stop in and explain your situation. Any fly shop that's worth a damn should help ya out in Exchange for years of patronage. It's in their best interest to get you up to speed if ya make it clear that they will earn a new regular customer.

Not sure what area of the state you're from (if at all), but there are usually a few late winter gatherings that are intended to help beginners out. Someone that's not 2500 miles away can help ya there if you are interested.

agreed a shop could help.
However, keep in mind that the loyalty of fly fisherman (sportsman for that matter) to local shops that help them is dwindling precipitously. There are some people who think they have no obligation to patronize local shops if they don't match the price (or lack of sales tax) found on the internet.
It might be harder to find shops that can provide that free service as often as they used to.
For every action, there's an opposite reaction.
Just my own opinion.

Hi Dave - You'll be able to get the help you need at the "Newbie Jam". Problem is, that won't happen until the 24th of March.

The good news is that the Newbie Jam is just an extension of what happens here in the Beginner's Forum every day - just in a face to face format.

There's too much fishing to be done between now and the 24th! If you'd like to get together, I'd be happy to get you started in the right direction.

Let me know if I can help....

H.A.

Looking forward to the Newbie Jam and am sure I will learn something there.

I'm in Northeast PA. (Carbondale) and both outings have been on the Lackawanna.

I know that there is an Orvis Shop in ****son City and another shop in Honesdale. I'll have to check in with them and see what I can learn.

djs,

A&G in DC has free classes in the summer or they have for a fee guiding and instruction.

Evening Hatch(Poconos) has a professionally taught class with on stream instruction in April or May; call or check their website for costs.

I'm no expert by a long shot(actually my casting kinda sucks) but I only live a few minutes from you (Browndale) and at some point we can get together.

Cathy

Hi Dave

Welcome to the site!

I recommend you getting some lessons, it did a friend a world of good when he first started out. He turned out to be a very good caster.

Being self taught I can tell you that lessons are the way to go. You have less bad habbits to start with.
Let me add my "welcome aboard". GG

I’d second getting professional lessons to avoid developing bad habits. A lot of water out there can be intimidating to a beginner even with lessons. I’ve found it easier to go out on a lake and practice my technique. There’s a lot more room and the water is relatively stationary. You not only need to practice your casting technique, but also need to learn what to do when a fish takes your fly. I found that out the hard way and had several fish swim away with my fly after I broke off the line. You’ll also find in general, warm-water fish are much more forgiving and easier to catch.

Dave,

I agree with Berks about lake fishing, especially if you have access to a boat. You can have a clear back cast area. And a bonus is that bluegills are a blast on a fly rod.

Also, once spring comes Merli Sarnoski is an option too. The stocked brookies stay near shore for a few days.

If you're on Facebook check out the Lackawanna river group for other local fly fishers.

Cathy

Hey Dave,

This video helped me out a lot. Very simple approach.

Thanks to everyone who has replied!

Dave

Dave,

I don't know if you are still checking in on this thread, but I have a little to add...

As the guys have said, having an experienced fly caster give you some instruction is invaluable, even after you have the basics down. Many, many, many (it was a long time LOL) years ago I had the great fortune to spend about a half hour on a stream with a gentleman by the name of Doug Swisher... that guy could cast! I though I was good, but quickly learned that I had a LONG way to go. LOL But I did learn a great deal, and got better.

Anyhow, without having someone next to you, I would advise this...

FOCUS on the back cast. If you learn how to get a good, strong, well timed back cast... the forward cast is a piece of cake. Too many beginners try and false cast like they are drying a fly off... back and forth and back and forth and on and on. Don't do it. Make a good back cast... and lay the line out on the water/grass with your forward cast. Don't worry about false casting, mending, roll casts or anything else until you have mastered the basics... which starts with a good back cast.

If you respond back to this thread, we can try and help more if you are not having luck getting someone to help you in person.

As a matter of fact, I see you are in NE PA like me. If it's somewhere fairly close by, maybe we could hook up sometime and I could help you out a bit.

Northbranch,

I've been fortunate to get lessons from a forum member. As he was putting me through the paces. I told him my friend was also beginning to learn, and he immediately made arrangements for us to meet so that he could teach him and reinforce my lessons from the previous outing.

The gentleman took his free time to teach us how to cast, and then spent time teaching us how to read the stream and what to look for when we approached the stream. How to observe what may be the food choice of the day, and much more.

It's been a blast so far, just being out of the house and on the water. Who knows, one of these times I may even catch a fish. At my current pace, it may be a dork fish, but hey.....It is called fishing and not catching for a reason.

We're looking forward to the Newbie Jam and learning from everyone with something to impart.

Thanks to you and everyone else who has offered help and encouragement.

Looking forward to a chance to hook up and fish together at some point.

Dave

Excellent Dave! Glad to hear it!

When you get good enough, teach someone else, and if it's a kid... spend extra time doing so. It's something you both will get a great deal of pleasure from.

Back